Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Projects from Quilt Magazines >

Projects from Quilt Magazines

Projects from Quilt Magazines

Old 04-13-2015, 05:03 AM
Power Poster

I have used one pattern ( cathedral window) from a magazine in the last 5 years and it was from an old magazine I found at a thrift store. Lately I see more I don't like in current publications. I do love the 100 blocks collection that comes out about 2 times a year as there is a wide variety to choose from
Old 04-13-2015, 05:55 AM

I haven't purchased a quilting magazine in more than a year and no subscriptions now. But I have a McCall's Quick Quilts October/November 2010 and am currently working on the 1st and 10 pattern. When I saw that pattern I wanted to make it but not in the fabrics for the teams. So I let my daughter pick out her fabrics and now I am working on this for her. It is a fun quilt and I have watched some Eleanor Burns videos to find some short cuts. This is only my third quilt to make.
I have eighteen broken sash blocks made and this week will work on the others.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:19 AM

I enjoy getting different quilting magazines. I get easy ones and regular ones to use to make all kinds of quilts, also to see color choices, fabrics in the quilts, the articles. I collect them and look at the older back issues sometimes. It's fun.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:33 AM

In the last year I've subscribe to three magazines and have made at least one project from each one. It may only be something small like a table runner but it is usually something that gives me a challenge will usually give small items to charity or one of the kids.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:38 AM

I am working on my first project from a magazine. I buy them because I find something interesting and bookmark some patterns but usually have many projects in mind and go to those first. The project I am working on is well written and easy to follow, I really like the pattern and the results are coming along nice.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:47 AM

I just seem to purchase books or mags. But I have produced very little. I have produced more from individual patterns purchased......now I am mired down in mags with the best intentions..........
Old 04-13-2015, 06:57 AM

I have made many quilts from magazines....that said, I maintain that the purpose of a magazine quilt pattern is for quilters to buy new fabric. I have seen people trying very hard to match the colors from a mag in the fabric store. I have done that once. Mostly, I like to use from my stash. I use patterns from books more as my DIL works at Leisure Arts and gets free or heavily discounted books for me. I used to buy lots of quilt magazines but hardly ever now. I take my discards to the doctors office.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:50 AM

I get excited seeing a new quilting magazine come in the mail. It's such a pleasure to thumb thru and find a treasure. I have made several quilts using patterns from magazines, I've also altered a few to fit my needs in a quilt. I don't subscribe to as many as I once did and find that I go back to old issues and find renewed inspiration. It's my hobby, this quilting thing, and the magazines are just the candy to make it sweeter.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:56 AM

I enjoy looking at the quilts others have made. Browsing through magazines I get ideas for colors, quilting designs,ideas for blocks, they are my inspiration sorry I have not done a pattern from a magazine but I did purchase an old magazine for a pattern that was in it because I saw the completed quilt on the board here.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I have used quilting magazines for years as a learning tool. There are so many articles that teach you how to do this or that while making a quilt more efficiently. I don't belong to a guild, so I interact with other quilter's in this way. by reading what they have to say about this or that pertaining to quilting and fabrics.

The inspiration and colors of quilts in the magazines make them worth the cost of the publication alone to me. All that being said, I don't have a subscription to any of them right now. I have made the most quilts from McCall's and Better Homes and Gardens magazines. Their style seems to suit me to a T.

I donate my unwanted fabric, magazines and patterns to the thrift shop when I am done with them. I figure that there are many ladies that will enjoy a good deal and support out local food bank.