Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you need before you purchase an embroidery machine? >

What do you need before you purchase an embroidery machine?

What do you need before you purchase an embroidery machine?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:12 AM

I would say the right amount of stabilizers(very important so design doesn't gather up when stitched, the right size machine embroidery needles or top stitch needles, colors of thread(I like Polyester machine embroidery thread because it for it's strength( doesn't break much) & has a beautiful sheen). Scrap fabric to test the design out first before you stitch it out on something for real.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:28 AM

And I forgot something. If you want to purchase the embroidery software how much is it going to cost you for it and then for each new version. Some.... Like Bernina embroidery software costs you each time you upgrade it to the new version. Some don't charge for upgrades to the new version. Each embroidery software has it's pros & cons that come with it.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:34 AM

I think it's mportant to know if your machine uses a usb stick, what is the best size to use, do you need to use manufacturers usb, the difference in stabilisers and that you need different thread for embroidery machine than you use for regular sewing.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by notmorecraft View Post
I think it's mportant to know if your machine uses a usb stick, what is the best size to use, do you need to use manufacturers usb, .
Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
My low-end embroidery machine has a usb port and I didn't know about needing software to import and edit purchased designs. I thought I could just buy designs, put them on a usb stick and transfer them, but it doesn't work that way. After a month I found a reasonably priced on line program that works very well for me.

You don't need a computer program to transfer designs to your machine if you're not doing any editing to the design other than what you can do in the machine itself. All you have to do is format the USB stick to your machine before you load the design onto it. I have 3 machines and the only program I have is the free Wilcom Truesizer for changing formats between my machines.

No you don't have to use the USB sticks they try to sell you with the machine. Any USB stick will work, but the smaller the stick the faster the machine will load from it.

Cari
Old 04-16-2015, 03:10 AM

First thing is a good hunk of $$$$ LOL!! Sorry add to try and add a laugh about now
Old 04-16-2015, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by SingerSewer View Post
In the fall the local library will be hosting a program on what you need before you purchase an embroidery machine

Thank you for your input and help.
You need to have lots of money.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:02 AM

For me - the first hurdle was stabilizer and how to properly hoop a design; it makes a huge difference on the finished design and how it looks. Also, I have since learned that certain hoops are much easier to hoop than others, i.e. how sturdy is the hoop itself. After purchasing my machine I added on a 6 x 6 hoop and it's design is much thicker which makes the hooping process so much easier and it reduces the distortion/pulling of the stabilizer and resulting registration issues. Other things I have recently learned was the use of two layers of stabilizers in the beginning rather than floating tearaway on the back of the design while stitching. Other tips I needed related to products such as "Grip It" or wrapping the sides of the hoop with self-adhesive tape to reduce the stabilizer distortion.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:28 AM

First off a dealer that is dedicated to his/her business and will provide all the classes that you will need to learn to use your machine. I purchased 2 top of the line machines before I purchased the Bernina I have now. My dealer is now always giving classes showing us how to use our software and machines. The first two dealers were not so user friendly.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:47 AM

My machine is a cheap one that only does a 4 in design. I only wanted it for quilt blocks. It does the job nicely.
Had to buy Ped-Basic which was another hundred dollars.
Mine is a card insert not a usb stick.
Would have liked one with a big enough design to use to quilt blocks in a quilt but these cost as much as a longarm.
I love my little machine which was less than $400.
Downloaded designs for leaves, fancy red work designs, teddy bears, and nursery story designs. All for 6 in blocks.
It would be nice to have a high end machine but can not afford one.
Made a tablecloth with the leaf designs and a baby quilt with the teddy bears.

Last edited by Rose Marie; 04-16-2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:08 AM

I really, really wish I could have borrowed an embroidery machine for a month or even KNEW someone that had one... just to see or ask what I was in for. There is a learning curve but its also an expensive endeavor.

I took a few craftsy classes on stabilizers (the first learning curve hurdle) that helped tremendously and refer back when needed. As someone that loves to machine appliqué on my DM, I though I knew a LITTLE BIT about stabilizers...WRONG!!! lol The classes discussed how to stabilize various fabrics, design density choices and needles. Hooping is another hurdle, it can be tricky and needs practice. A person can be shown or told how to do it but one needs to get a feel for their own hoops and fabric themselves, through trial and sometimes a bit of error.

I also wish I knew that I needed extra patience with myself, plenty of money to play with, lots of various stabilizers, tons of threads for all the beautiful designs, lots of needles, a pile of clearance fabrics and old clothes and towels for practice and testing. Machine Embroidery is more resource intense than I knew going into it. Once the learning curve is conquered one will see where and where not to be a bit more or less frugal with the resources. Cheap is not a concept that works with ME, for the most part.

I wish I knew more about thread when I started ME too. Good thread can also be expensive initially but does last a while. Some people can get away with cheap thread but some machines will simply not stitch with them. I certainly would have been thrilled to save a buck and use cheap thread if I could have; I had a Brother Designio that would not stitch with them period...not even ONE no matter what design, needle, stabilizer or fabric I used. Before buying large amounts of cheap thread, buy one or two and test if your machine will stitch nicely with it. It cost me more than I want to admit to learn that lesson. I'm a thread snob now but wasn't always so inclined...I was forced into snobbery by an uppity tantrum throwing EM.