Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 04-15-2015, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Wow you are really rebuilding that Pfaff! She's going to be humming like new in no time!

I'm STILL waiting for my pattern wheel to arrive from Germany. When it gets here I wouldn't mind looking up the settings for a few stitches for you, at least enough that you can do some testing. I'm not even sure mine is working properly, all I could get was wobbly zig-zags, but I have no clue what I'm doing so probably the machine is fine. When I was a kid I was NOT ALLOWED to touch any of those dials so they're all a mystery to me, LOL.
I actually GOT a pattern wheel with this machine! It also had a manual but most of the pages are missing lol. It didn't have a foot controller so I had to find one of those. It had a cord but the bakelite connector had been shattered and glued and was in a terrible state. I found a new connector and got a new cord together for it. As soon as I unscrewed the old connector it fell apart in a million pieces so I was glad I bought the replacement.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:16 AM

Default 201 light

I bought an aluminium 201K a few weeks back from ebay (for $17). The main problem was the light. It was a Canadian model (converted to local voltage) and I couldn't find a light bulb to fit it (screw in type, and larger than the usual one).
So, I had one in the shed from a 96K industrial. Screwed it onto the old light mount and soldered it into the motor's electrical block. Fitted it with a 15W modern fluorescent bulb which is supposed to be equivalent of 75W. After it warmed up it's definitely impressive, and doesn't get too warm.
Had to turn it off to take a proper picture because it was so bright.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]517046[/ATTACH]
The head of the light can be swivelled
[ATTACH=CONFIG]517047[/ATTACH]
From the top. Mounting it was easy, just sandwiched the original fitting with one on the light.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]517048[/ATTACH]
Turned it off for this. It's been angled back and moved so I don't get light directly in my eyes, but I've never been able to see the work this easily before so very happy and keen to get back to sewing
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4326.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	517046   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4327.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	517047   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4328.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	517048  
Old 04-16-2015, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I actually GOT a pattern wheel with this machine! It also had a manual but most of the pages are missing lol. It didn't have a foot controller so I had to find one of those. It had a cord but the bakelite connector had been shattered and glued and was in a terrible state. I found a new connector and got a new cord together for it. As soon as I unscrewed the old connector it fell apart in a million pieces so I was glad I bought the replacement.
Ohh, lucky!! Mine came with a great assortment of feet and the original foot controller, but no pattern wheel and no manual. I'm STILL waiting for the wheel I've ordered, haven't come across a manual yet (haven't really been looking though).

The bakelite plug on my machine body is broken too, but doesn't seem to harm the function so I've left it as-is. Those seem to be broken on a lot of these machines.

I STILL want to get the original one that belonged to my grandma. My aunt has it in storage now but she's in a 30+ year long war with my mother so she won't even talk to me, much less let me have it. (I'd even PAY her for it) BUT my cousins (3 boys) think it's all ridiculous and have pledged that all of Gran's sewing stuff will come to me whenever their mom either passes on or starts letting go of all her "stuff" she's got horded away. I just have to show up with a truck and help clear stuff out. DEAL!! I'd help anyway, but with a couple family sewing machines on offer you can bet I'll be there with bells on. LOL
Old 04-16-2015, 06:09 AM

manicmike - I love that articulated lamp! It reminds me of the ones I see on some of the older Pfaffs.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:14 AM

The 201K is saweeeet! I would love to find one of those!
Old 04-16-2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
The 201K is saweeeet! I would love to find one of those!
They're unbelievably good machines and everyone I know who has one loves them, but they're worth almost nothing here. Another QB member bought me one for $10 a few weeks back and it's better than the one in the photos.

I think there are a few of these in Canada (Tammi?). They're as good as a regular 201 (sewing mechanism is the same as the heavy version) but half the weight.

manicmike - I love that articulated lamp! It reminds me of the ones I see on some of the older Pfaffs.
I've seen this sort of thing on the German 315G, which is also a domestic machine.
I still want to get a fluorescent with a smaller bulb (so it's a little more directed): My partner can't work on the other side of the table because it's so bright - I'm sewing a black jacket with black thread so very bright is required.

Just thought of all those machines people convert into just lamps. Ha! Seems it's possible to have the best of both worlds
Old 04-16-2015, 09:12 PM

I set the Pfaff aside until my replacement part for the tension arrives. In the meantime I put a Singer 201 on my table. I couldn't tell what was going on with the paint job. I figured it was the clear coat failing, but have changed my mind on that. The machine had a weird grey speckled haze but after starting the clean up I started noticing the haze was in places I never see clear coat problems. The tension piece had it, the bakelite terminal piece had it. I think now that the machine was left uncovered somewhere near where paint was being sprayed and received a light dusting.

The tension spring was a real mess. Luckily I had a spare. It also had a broken brush cap. I was able to score it well enough to get it out. The motor is currently lying in pieces but it's clean.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0448 (640 x 426).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	517127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1474 (640 x 478).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	517128  
Old 04-17-2015, 05:57 AM

That spring definitely looks like it's had better days!

Are you going to try to fix the paint on the 201? It looks "dusty" in the picture. Maybe the overspray can be buffed off, somehow?
Old 04-17-2015, 06:11 AM

That spring definitely looks like it's had better days!

Are you going to try to fix the paint on the 201? It looks "dusty" in the picture. Maybe the overspray can be buffed off, somehow?
I have most of it off already. It looks like it should clean up pretty nicely.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:26 AM

LOL, I should have guessed!

You're so industrious!

FREE Quilting Newsletter