Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why a scant 1/4 seam? >

Why a scant 1/4 seam?

Why a scant 1/4 seam?

Old 04-17-2015, 04:28 AM

I hate patterns that say "scant" quarter inch. I just use my 1/4" foot and my blocks measure just fine. Consistency is the key. I am extra careful, though, when I am doing a block exchange to make certain my blocks measure the correct size. However, I usually get a variety of sizes in the blocks in return.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:36 AM

Scant 1/4 inch implies that we are all speaking the same language. We all know that scant means 'no more than'. Also, it allows our minds to think in a consistent way. I would hate to have to change the seam allowance width in my mind-let alone practice with each new project. I'm sure I would have mixed seam allowances within a project.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:17 AM

Love that first one and especially how you've quilted it!

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have done numerous bargellos from Eileen's two books and I don't recall any required scant 1/4" seam. She does have some skinny unfinished seam down to 1" but it is only when you try to do 3/4" width strip that it is best to stitch those seams a little skinny. I also press my seams away from the thinnest strip to avoid any bulk problem with my seams. I have changed patterns and no long cut any bargello strip less than an 1" wide. It is just not worth working with that narrow of a strip. Usually I have seen that a skinny 1/4" suggested with very tiny miniature blocks. Here is Eileen's table runner pattern from her first book that I made for a friend. I also made one in Xmas fabrics for another friend.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
As PaperPieces stated, the finish is the important part. Using a scant 1/4" seam allows for the thread and fold so your block/ item turns out the size its supposed to be. Especially important with blocks/quilts that have many, many seams ( like bargello). With a pattern like a bargello having even an extra 16 th of an inch adds ( subtracts) a whole inch in finished size in 16 strips/seams. Those little bits add up.
Excellent explanation!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

Stunning!!!!!
Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I have done numerous bargellos from Eileen's two books and I don't recall any required scant 1/4" seam. She does have some skinny unfinished seam down to 1" but it is only when you try to do 3/4" width strip that it is best to stitch those seams a little skinny. I also press my seams away from the thinnest strip to avoid any bulk problem with my seams. I have changed patterns and no long cut any bargello strip less than an 1" wide. It is just not worth working with that narrow of a strip. Usually I have seen that a skinny 1/4" suggested with very tiny miniature blocks. Here is Eileen's table runner pattern from her first book that I made for a friend. I also made one in Xmas fabrics for another friend.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:16 AM

On Page 14 of the book( in the highlighted pink area)Twist-and-Turn Bargello Quilts it does indeed say a scant 1/4 inch seam is used for everything that is in the book.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:22 AM

Can I be your new friend? Lovely work!
Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 AM

i think with Quilting books and patterns and stuff, it's like flying geese. People do them different ways. They make them their own. All Bargello quilts are truelly beautiful.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:31 AM

I've programmed my D1 for a scant 1/4" as the one on the machine isn't. I have found in the past that once you start a quilt top you should stick with the same machine throughout as each machine stitches a little differently, at least when working with blocks. I'm sure you can change machines for the borders if necessary.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:00 AM

They are beautiful! I have never attempted one before.