Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In pursuit of the perfect pincushion... >

In pursuit of the perfect pincushion...

In pursuit of the perfect pincushion...

Old 04-17-2015, 10:02 AM

My favorite pincushions are either 100% wool, or wool stuffed with sawdust, or emery, or one of each! The wool, even when felted, has enough lanolin to help protect the pins from rust and emery will clean and polish them. I have read on other sites that polyester is not a good stuffing; it can actually dull pins and needles.

I bought a wool pincushion from an Etsy shop. It is made from 100% wool from recycled sweaters. She washes them in hot water, and dries them in a hot dryer to felt the wool. Her pincushions are made of many round layers of the felted material topped and edged with the decorative parts of the felted sweates. She does not use glue. The sturdy, firm cushions are made only from felted wool and thread.

I loved my first one so much I asked her to make a custom size, extra-large, 7-inches across, 2+ inches deep pincushion for me. Then I bought three more for some friends that are serious sewists. I have my huge one in the sewing room; a smaller one in the basket I carry to quilt groups, and one extra "just in case."

I am not affiliated with her shop, and if it is allowed I would be proud to post a link to her shop. She makes The Best Pincushions in the world! Yes, I'm passionate about the handcrafted, 100% wool, recycled, useful, protective, and absolutely beautiful pincushions from this artist. I may be easily entertained, but it's wonderful to have a product that works on so many levels!

The large orange one on the left is mine. I gave the pink and teal ones to friends. (And I had to slap my hand to let them go when I gave them away! LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Huge felted wool pincushion.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	517166   Click image for larger version

Name:	PC Pretty in Pink.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	517167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpaca turquoise and tan Loneweever.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	517168  

Last edited by Caroline94535; 04-17-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: I wanted to add the teal pincushioin
Old 04-17-2015, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Did you Google???

https://www.google.com/search?q=free...w=1009&bih=614
Old 04-17-2015, 10:49 AM

If you're interested in the magnetic type, let me know. I have one I'd be happy to give you. Since your machines are mechanical, no issue. I'm just trusting it next to my computerized machine so stopped using it.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

my favorite is a walnut shell filling. it' an qr round about might want to make a 4" square one and stuff it with the walnut shells, it won't roll around and is easy to stick pins into it.. show us what you do.
I've made them as elaborate as a stuffed turkey to a square.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty pincushions.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:56 PM

I'm very happy with my miniature needlepoint pillow pincushion.

I agree, the tomato is kind of a pain but I like the old school look of it...
Old 04-17-2015, 01:30 PM

Twenty-plus years ago, I smoked. Well, when I quit, I had all these ashtrays lying around, unused, that I made in a ceramics class. One day as I sat in my studio fussing because the tomato pin cushion I was using was inadequate, I decided to make use of one of those pretty big, round ashtrays. So...I found a pretty piece of patchwork that I had used in one of my daughter's dresses, filled it with batting, tightened it up and glued it into the bottom of the ceramic ashtray. Best pincushion I've ever had and still functional after all this time!! Look around and see what you've got at home...you may be pleasantly surprised! (I'd show it to you but it's way in the back of the studio where I just finished a major project...maybe next time!)
Old 04-17-2015, 01:36 PM

I also use the magnetic dish from Harbor Freight. The downside-it will also attract your small scissors, and since I sew on a metal desk, it was always 'stuck' in place. I put some cork discs on the bottom to solve that problem, but it still attracts my small scissors, which is sometimes annoying.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:05 PM
yel

i took a cap off a laundry soap bottle ...did a tight roll with a piece of discarded batting add one nice square of favorite fabric ...cute perfect for me and recycling
Old 04-17-2015, 03:35 PM

One of our neighbors used to make them out of pop bottle caps and elastic to put on your finger.

They were really cute.

She was really good at making all kinds of neat stuff.