Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I don't know if this forum is going to be healthy for me. >

I don't know if this forum is going to be healthy for me.

I don't know if this forum is going to be healthy for me.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:52 PM

I understand how you feel I am on this forum at least hour a day and have learned so much from everyone.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:14 PM

Welcome! I have learned so much from everyone here - everyone is so encouraging and willing to share knowledge and pics. I definitely have a bad case of "machine envy" from seeing the great vintage machines that members have found and restored and now I'm always on the hunt for "just one more"
Old 04-17-2015, 02:52 AM

Consider it a case of being "good stewards" of the world's resources. And, they don't build them like that anymore!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:07 AM

All I say is "welcome to my obsession". We could have worse habits! 😇
Old 04-17-2015, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

I had been looking for my mother's machine for many years. Long sad story and won't go into the hurt feelings. But I found out where it's at and I know that woman will not give it up. The only comfort I can muster is knowing that she takes very could care of it and it's her favorite go to. I have not asked her for it and it would be to expensive to ship. I do know it's in good hands. I have 2 (Singer 2662 and a Slant 401 in a desk cabinet). They work hard. I've run denim and leather through the both of them.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I had been looking for my mother's machine for many years. Long sad story and won't go into the hurt feelings. But I found out where it's at and I know that woman will not give it up. The only comfort I can muster is knowing that she takes very could care of it and it's her favorite go to. I have not asked her for it and it would be to expensive to ship. I do know it's in good hands. I have 2 (Singer 2662 and a Slant 401 in a desk cabinet). They work hard. I've run denim and leather through the both of them.
Have you thought abut offering to buy it from her, telling her how much is means to you, you could be surprised.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 View Post
I don't want or need another machine...but shouldn't I find a pristine Singer 201-2 to put in the Singer #42 cabinet...and then find an appropriate Pfaff cabinet for the Pfaff 130? If it were a "parlour-type cabinet", I could make a spot for it in my living room.
You're absolutely correct. You probably should find a pristine Singer 201-2 for that cabinet. It's practically a travesty if you don't. And you most certainly will want a Pfaff cabinet, maybe even a cabinet in nice shape that has a "parts" Pfaff 130. That would be a good start.

But have you seen the Necchi Supernovas? Sweet! And they make the loveliest decorative stitches!

What if you ever decide to take a class and need to take along a machine? That Pfaff is a little hefty to do that, isn't it? Don't you think you owe it to yourself to find a Featherweight or a 301A at the very least? They're de rigueur for those classes!

Did I fail to mention those dashboard machines from the 60s?

Have fun and post pictures!
Old 04-18-2015, 06:50 AM

Yes, there are a lot of enablers here! But they mean well. If not for them a lot of nice machines would be made into lamps or mail boxes or whatever. I did my part by saving another 301 last week at a flea market just because the guy said it was just (JUST!) an old machine. Now I have 3 of those very nice old machines. So thanks all of you!
Old 04-18-2015, 10:55 AM

I cant even sew and I have close to a dozen old Singers in various states and have 3 whites as well. I don't really think there is a cure, you need to be Very careful when dealing with these old gems.... they are highly contagious.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:36 PM

I want to tell you all, that I just rescued a 99k-13 in a cabinet and
a 15-97 in a 2 door cabinet that I've not seen. Both are working, in good
condition....some scraps and scratches....but overall pretty decent.
Woman was going to have the junk man take them....she had heard about
me from a friend of a friend....so she called and I picked them up today.
She`s happy, they were her mother's and aunt's....I'm happy....tons of
attachments for both, not to mention bobbins galore!

Mish k in NJ