Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine Dilemma >

New Machine Dilemma

New Machine Dilemma

Old 04-19-2015, 06:41 AM

I have a diamond and would not be without it.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am still quilting on my Bernina 1530. I too have no interest in getting an embroidery machine. They are expensive toys with all these supplies you need:

Embroidery supplies you need....

Backing - Allstitch, Hollingsworth & Vose (Stitch Backers)
Bobbins - NEB, Coats, Magna-Glide, Clear-Glide, ESC Economy Bobbins & Bobbin Cases
Cap Frames - EMS HoopTech
Clamping Systems - EMS HoopTech
Hoops - EMS HoopTech, Quick Change, Allied Gridlock, Durkee, Fast Frames
Hooping Equipment - HoopMaster
Needles - Organ, Groz-Beckert, Schmetz
Scissors - Gingher
Software - T-Quoter, E-Z Estimator, Great Notions
Supplies - Peggy's Stitch Eraser, The Embroiderer's Buddy and more
Thread - Madeira
I have been doing embroidery since the 90's and haven't had a problem working without any of this stuff except the neb bobbins and good needles!! Sulky stabelizers are good if you learn to use it correctly. I started with a Bernina 180, then a babylock, then Viking designer 1 SE, now I have the babylock ellisimo gold. I keep two of them set up for embroidery and a sewing machine to quilt on! I love my embroidery machines! I use it for quilting, clothes, towels, labels ect! I have found that the babylock is by far the most user friendly, and the newer machines transfer designs from your computer by cable so you don't need a lot of fancy software to transfer. It's fun if you get started and don't give up on it!
Old 04-19-2015, 07:01 AM

I have sewn for many years and could not wait to get an embroidery machine. When my DG passed away the money I received was spent on a nice machine. Took classes and I did use it a lot in the beginning but not so much any more. Mostly use the letters (for labels) and the fancy stitches for crazy quilts. Yes, it came with some designs and a hoop but all the other items are not cheap, stablizers, special thread, extra software, etc. If asked "would you buy one again", my answer would be no, I would get a machine with a wider throat, thread cutter, etc. My machine has been wonderful but I spent a lot of money for the amount of time the embroidery features have been used.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:55 AM

I would look at designs online and at Nancy's Notions (for designs as well as embellished items) to see if you like the look of machine embroidery. Not everyone does.

hugs,
Charlotte
Old 04-19-2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
I have been doing embroidery since the 90's and haven't had a problem working without any of this stuff except the neb bobbins and good needles!! Sulky stabelizers are good if you learn to use it correctly. I started with a Bernina 180, then a babylock, then Viking designer 1 SE, now I have the babylock ellisimo gold. I keep two of them set up for embroidery and a sewing machine to quilt on! I love my embroidery machines! I use it for quilting, clothes, towels, labels ect! I have found that the babylock is by far the most user friendly, and the newer machines transfer designs from your computer by cable so you don't need a lot of fancy software to transfer. It's fun if you get started and don't give up on it!
I have been doing ME for about 10 years. I started with a Viking D1, then SE, now have the DIamond. I love it! I quilt, sew and ME. I don't have or need any of the thing listed above! Thread, stabilizer and some temp spray is all I have purchased that wasn't part of the actual package for embroidery. Hoops come with the machines (unless you want additional sizes). I advise get the biggest hoop capability that you can afford, as too many people get a 4x4 and only want to do labels. Then find out there is a whole world out there of in the hoop designs, large jacket backs, etc. that they would love to try but can't because they only have a small hoop. I have been sewing since I was 4yrs old, did 75 square dancing dresses at one time in 1978, and didn't even know emb machines existed til I got my first one. I am hooked! You might not be. Chocolate and Vanilla and Neapolitan! But if you are interested, and it isn't a financial strain, I say go for it. I have met sooo many nice folks, just standing in line at Hancocks or Joanns, that mention their machine and we get to talking and then sewing together! It is different, it isn't for everyone. The folks that bought the machines and don't use them are missing out! Just sayin' ....and it is a waste not to use what you have. Maybe you would rather have a long arm? A large throat for quilting? But there is a different, creative world out there with ME and I for one am glad I didn't pass it up!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I am still quilting on my Bernina 1530. I too have no interest in getting an embroidery machine. They are expensive toys with all these supplies you need:

Embroidery supplies you need....

Backing - Allstitch, Hollingsworth & Vose (Stitch Backers)
Bobbins - NEB, Coats, Magna-Glide, Clear-Glide, ESC Economy Bobbins & Bobbin Cases
Cap Frames - EMS HoopTech
Clamping Systems - EMS HoopTech
Hoops - EMS HoopTech, Quick Change, Allied Gridlock, Durkee, Fast Frames
Hooping Equipment - HoopMaster
Needles - Organ, Groz-Beckert, Schmetz
Scissors - Gingher
Software - T-Quoter, E-Z Estimator, Great Notions
Supplies - Peggy's Stitch Eraser, The Embroiderer's Buddy and more
Thread - Madeira
There are other threads besides Madeira, lots and lots of brands. Don't have any of the "supplies" listed here, and have lots of different scissors as well, Gingher isn't the only brand out there. I don't have the cap hoop (might want one later) and every one that sews has needles. There are specialty needles available, but I don't buy them. All sewing takes tools, some quilters have every ruler imaginable, I don't. Machine embroidery is different. Takes a few different supplies, like stabilizers. But it isn't a different planet!

I have been doing ME for about 10 years. I started with a Viking D1, then SE, now have the DIamond. I love it! I quilt, sew and ME. Thread, stabilizer and some temp spray is all I have purchased that wasn't part of the actual package for embroidery. Hoops come with the machines (unless you want additional sizes). I advise get the biggest hoop capability that you can afford, as too many people get a 4x4 and only want to do labels. Then find out there is a whole world out there of in the hoop designs, large jacket backs, etc. that they would love to try but can't because they only have a small hoop. I have been sewing since I was 4yrs old, did 75 square dancing dresses at one time in 1978, and didn't even know emb machines existed til I got my first one. I 71 now, and I am hooked! You might not be. Chocolate and Vanilla and Neapolitan! But if you are interested, and it isn't a financial strain, I say go for it. I have met sooo many nice folks, just standing in line at Hancocks or Joanns, that mention their machine and we get to talking and then sewing together! It is different, it isn't for everyone. The folks that bought the machines and don't use them are missing out! Just sayin' ....and it is a waste not to use what you have. Maybe you would rather have a long arm? A large throat for quilting? But there is a different, creative world out there with ME and I for one am glad I didn't pass it up!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:47 AM

I'm sorry for your loss.

In part, I would base my decision on dealer support and trade policy. Will they provide ongoing lessons? What if you get the machine with and decide it's not for you - can you trade to another machine without significant loss of what you paid for the embroidery?

Do you know anyone who has an embroidery machine that you could spend some time with? So that you could watch and maybe, with assistance do, some embroidery? That way you could see what actually goes into a piece being done.

Luckily, I know that embroidery doesn't interest me - I don't like how it looks or how stiff it is in finished products. A friend thought she wanted it, bought a machine and after two years of frustration, including several months waiting for a part for a needed repair (that's probably not the norm, it was a Pfaff), finally sold it.

My first Bernina, a Virtuosa 153QE, was purchased with money I received after my father passed away. That was almost 20 years ago and I love it as much today as I did the day it came home. Well, probably more.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:02 AM

What is it they say, "Different strokes for different folks"? Good advice about test driving if you have a friend that owns an EM..or at a dealer's store. Ask around what others like about their brand. And try to buy from a local dealer so you don't have to travel for repairs, and lessons are included with the purchase. I've been at it long enough that I can ''raise the hood'' and do minor repairs myself. You learn to do that when you have a 200 mi drive. When/if a motor or motherboard goes bad, then I will gas up and go to the expert. If you decide after buying that it is not for you, then you will never recover your cost. So think long and hard about where your inheritance will benefit you most. My opinion is worth what you paid me for it!
Old 04-19-2015, 10:44 AM

I have an old embroidery machine and never used it for the embroidery part of it. Only thing I used it for was labels on the back of quilts. I could pay someone to make labels for me a lot cheaper. I thought I would use the embroidery for grandchildren but didn't. So , last year I brought the top of the line of a sewing machine without the embroidery feature. I could have afford an embroidery machine so price was not a factor. If you buy a machine with the embroidery feature, you will have to learn how to use the sewing features and the embroidery feature. That is a lot of learning curve.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:45 AM

Years ago, I bought a used Viking Lily after looking at a Designer #1 that had embroidery capabilities. I regretted my decision after a few years. A couple years ago I bought a brand new Viking Ruby and have not regretted my decision at all. I take the arm off when I'm piecing quilts but I really enjoy being able to embroider blocks for quilts and other items. It sounds like this is going to be a 'once in a lifetime' type purchase. I would say go ahead and get a machine with embroidery capability...you may discover you really love it!