Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BabyLock Ovation Serger question >

BabyLock Ovation Serger question

BabyLock Ovation Serger question

Old 04-19-2015, 04:36 PM

I just bought a Babylock Evolution last week (traded in my 10-year-old Evolve). I love this new machine! The lights are great and it is so quiet. I've been making pillowcases all afternoon for my grandkids just because it's so much fun. Be sure to take advantage of any classes and/or clubs offered by your dealer. Betty
Old 04-19-2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
I am less then 5' tall and I have to hem everything. I bought one and I love it but I have a cottage in another state.
Walked into Goodwill and found one for $12. What luck! So now I have one at both places. My 4 brothers always want something hemmed too so I make them pay me. haha
I understand your fitting problems...I have come to the conclusion that I am less than 'petite'. This is why I have been working to get sergers working. I have a stack of hemming to do (all petite sizes) and yards of satin I got on sale to make my pillow cases. A serger is the way to go for many things!
Old 04-19-2015, 06:34 PM

I have a Baby Lock Evolve and love, love, love it. I've used it for T-shirt quilts and to square up and edge a quilt before binding. I've also made 100's of napkins and tablecloths with rolled edges and thousands of t-shirts, hoodies, scarves and beanies with it. Don't use it as much as my other machines, but wouldn't be without it.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:24 AM

If you use it, buy it and take all the classes you can get. I absolutely love mine. I use it for clothing, making purses, an heirloom night gown, I use it to make a log cabin quilt using fleece, the seems don't stretch and its great. I make table runners, the decrotive stitches on it as well. I've done a quilt as you go lap size quilt, tote bags. Nancy Zieman has a quilt book for the serger. Look up the Ovation on line, there are lots of you tubes on it. I love the wave stitch for finishing. I made throw quilts with fleece for everyone and it was so much easier using the serger. It has automatic tension control, it can handle all types of thread, there is just so much to love along with easy to use and thread. Love, love it.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:53 AM

I bought the Evolution a couple of years ago. I use it all the time. I am short also and have to hem everything I buy. I also like to serge around the three layers of the quilt before I bind. I don't like serging a whole quilt because it makes it too heavy. I bought mine when the shop offered a special class. I got a great show price on it. It threads sooooo easily!
Old 04-21-2015, 05:04 AM

I have the Babylock Evolve with jet air threading ,love it. I do not use it often but when I do it is a great machine.I make my own curtains,pillow cases etc and a serged edge is great on items like that.So if you want it and can use it go buy that thing.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:04 AM

Yes, the Babylock sergers are expensive and I picked up one of their Evolves because of the air threading. Always had trouble getting the threading correct on my other one. I used to use it only to serge the cut edges of my fabrics before I washed them but now I don't wash my fabrics before I use it so that's out. I have my old serger threaded for the 3-thread stitch and I keep it for quick serging. I've also found out since I have it threaded correctly to just tie on the new color and pull it thru instead of fighting the threading. On the Evolve I have better luck with the threading but still tie and pull the new thread thru. As I hem pants for the gents in my congregation, after cutting them down to fit I'll serge the ends before I put a blind hem stitch to them. I'm pulling out all my UFOs of clothing projects I cut out some 4+ years ago and plan to get them done now that I figured out the serging and blind hem stitch on my machine. Decided these machines can make life so much easier for you if you use them to your advantage.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:46 PM

I bought the Ovation and I love it. Since I'm also getting a new sewing room (I know, I'm spoiled and pampered) it may be a couple weeks before I can use it on a 'real' project. But I do have a list of projects I want to do on it so it should fit into my sewing room very nicely. Thanks for all your words of wisdom. Now I have to figure out how to sell my Enlighten.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:00 PM

I have an Elna Serger. It is the pitts to thread, but I just used it today to hem new pants. I hem my husbands Jeans on it, my 2 sons, my great grandsons. I wouldn't be without it. I also tie different colors on and pull it through. I think I paid 79 dollars 25 years ago, and I know they are much more expensive now, but if you will use it, it's worth it.