Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what are your personal quality standards? >

what are your personal quality standards?

what are your personal quality standards?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:23 AM
farscapegal

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i strive to be the best that i can be in both quilting and every aspect of my life.

if i've made something i know i could have done better then i will pull it apart and do it again.
Ditto.

Sybil

Old 01-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Riversong
I strive to be as "perfect" as I can if it's for someone else.For personal use,I am more relaxed ...
i think we all do the best we can in hope of achieving the human equivalent of perfection. the questions are:

1. what's our personal gabooble point? how much imperfection can we tolerate in our own work before the stitch-picker (aka seam ripper) comes out?

2. how many attempts will we make to fix something before we accept it as it is? (i employ the 3-strikes method. if it's still not right enough after 3 tries, i either use it the way it is or toss it into the trash.)

3. how hard do we kick ourselves for making mistakes in the first place? how big a mistake rates a kick?

my answers to those questions change from quilt to quilt. they also depend a great deal on my mood at the time.

my heartfelt wish for all quilters - especially those just starting out - is that as our skills improve and the gafarble rate goes down, our acceptance of our humanity and imperfection also goes up. happiness waits for us at the intersection of those two lines. ;-)
Old 01-10-2010, 03:38 PM

On hope I am on the road to being a cozy quilter. (I love that term)
Old 01-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

For a long time I was paralyzed by the fear of not doing a good enough job or not being perfect. With this mindset I was achieving little and everything was turning into a fret fest. No more...I just get on and do, try not to overanalyse or overthink, just get on and DO. Sure, I take care with my work, and will unpick and redo, 'til it goes as right as it can...but life is short..and I have so many projects planned in my head and in my notebooks if I don't get going they will never become reality....cozy or otherwise.

Coming here has been the best thing for me. All your pictures and anecdotes keep things fresh and in perspective and the inspiration factor is huge. No matter what your quilting style or description each person here is a gem.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:57 PM

"Cozy Quilter" what a great name. I was taught by my quilting teacher to be anal. Guess, what I'm not, I enjoy every stitch and if there is an imperfection I'm the only one that knows where it is. I make my quilts with love and give them away to those I love. :thumbup:
Old 01-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
I lived in Germany 4 yrs in 1970's & know the thrill of learning to figure out how much meat or cheese I wanted the butcher or his wife to cut me so I didn't look like a blundering idiot. They were used to Americans, so knew some English, which made it easier to converse.
My Mom worked in a bakery that had many American customers. One soldier pointed to the puff pastry and asked what it was. She translated perfectly: Air Bags. We still laugh about the cream-filled air bags.

But back on topic. I am struggeling with the quilting of a quilt right now. I wanted to do something special and my skills in that arena aren't special. SO I tried to do a fancy stitch in the ditch. It turned out JUST AWFUL. I had also never taken out quilting stitches before. - rule #1 go very very slowly.

Once I took out the bad stitching, I accepted the fact that I am a SID girl (or a MAD girl = meandering around ditch). The quilt may not be perfect and it may not be as special as I would like. But it is made from the heart and hope it will bring the recipient joy.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:14 PM

Oh this is such a good topic! I love the term "cozy quilter". My joy is in giving the quilts away and thinking someone has a "hug" from me. Perfect - no, but cozy-yes! Take care, Fran
Old 01-11-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by FranW
Oh this is such a good topic! I love the term "cozy quilter". My joy is in giving the quilts away and thinking someone has a "hug" from me. Perfect - no, but cozy-yes! Take care, Fran
Oh, how I like the term 'hug' in reference to a quilt given!

That's what I named one I created for my first daughter when she went to college. (You could even check the label!) I am in the process of making a second 'hug' - different pattern, different daughter, same purpose.

May all our quilts be hugs to someone! :thumbup:
Old 01-11-2010, 05:04 PM

I thank you for posting this thread. My first quilts were quillows for Christmas presents for my Children,grnds. friends. I loved it. At the time I was working and had plenty of spending money. Just me and Bill. I bought quilting magazines. Got really into it. Started piecing but was never satisfied with my SID. I am my worst critic, I sewed, ripped sewed. Had to get that stitch right in that ditch. My points had to match or else. Well one day while I was pondering over what to do with a quilt and its points I pickup a quilting magazine and was just looking at the cover. It was one of the more popular quilting mag. I was just gazing at the quilt on the front,which was SID and you know what you could see very clearly where it was out of the ditch. I then pick up some more and looked at them more closely and could see the same. If you look you can see some points arn't exactly right also. I had thought to get your quilt in a popular national quilting Mag. it had to be from a master. NADA!!!!
Now my attitude is I want it to look good and I do take extra steps, that is really not necessary,but makes it stand out and look better. But I don't rip out now if I get out of the ditch. If the point can be tweaked without ripping I will do that. If it is really off to make block wonky I will rip.
I Enjoy what I am doing now that I don't look for perfection. I was always scared someone would see my mistake and say something not nice. LOL!!
BillsBonBon
Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Mad, that is so funny. Last year, I pieced a 4" oversized lap quilt, not knowing who I'd give it to, but then my friend's rock house blew to smitherins. After my surgery, then back problems, & now feeling much better, I got my Quilt for Kids FMQ'd & next I'll be onto the oversized lap quilt. I noticed some of the blocks don't quite meet, but rather than taking them out, I'm leaving them in & bet she never notices. They have her an addition built onto her dau's house, since my friend isn't able to walk yet...several more surgeries for breaks in left leg & more Rehab. She stayed about 3 wks in ICU at Burn Center in B'ham, AL & is lucky to be alive. I know she will be glad to get it & I don't feel God will slap my hands for not redoing those places.