Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I nuts to attempt this?  I Love, Love, Love  it. >

Am I nuts to attempt this? I Love, Love, Love it.

Am I nuts to attempt this? I Love, Love, Love it.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:28 AM
dms

Sorry, I was replying to the Eleanor Burns method of using her applique method. It's what I would do..
Old 04-22-2015, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
Have you thought about using light weight (non-woven) interfacing as Eleanor Burns does on her applique? You could sew your wedge to the interfacing(just the end to be turned), draw the curved part, trim both, turn. You can cut away all but a small amount of the interfacing along the edge.
That's what I was thinking. Would eliminate the needle-turn.

Good idea!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
That's what I was thinking. Would eliminate the needle-turn.

Good idea!
I did try that technique as well. The edge was not very smooth and the interfacing tore as I was working the edge out. I got a better looking edge with the starch/iron method.

I've been trying to export the design from EQ5. But no luck. It says it exported it to Windows Clipboard. Have no idea what or where that is or that I even had one. hahahah
Old 04-22-2015, 08:05 AM

I thought of another way. Print out the block or quilt and then scan it and save it and then you can post it.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:32 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517745[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517746[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517747[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]517748[/ATTACH] Wow. Don't know how. But I was able to put these cloth swatches on here. Are they too close in color? I'm looking for an overall design without one standing out too much. I was thinking of the white one for the background and the other 3 for the blades. Now if I could just get the design to get on here from EQ 5
SVAL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rose background small flowers.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	517745   Click image for larger version

Name:	White.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	517746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Overall Rose.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	517747   Click image for larger version

Name:	White and Rose Large Flowers.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	517748  
Old 04-22-2015, 09:22 AM

The interfacing method is the easiest and will get you smooth results if you clip the curve before you turn... and if you sew it so that the adhesive side of the interfacing is showing when you turn, you can carefully turn, press on a Teflon pressing sheet to make the crisp curve and then press the whole thing to your background square so you don't have to use pins to hold it while you do the top stitching/
Old 04-22-2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I'm going to do it. I have two sample blocks I worked up yesterday. One I hand appliqued. The other I'm going to try machine and see which I prefer.
But now comes the part I struggle with. Picking out the cloth. I'm not good at it. Plus usually what I like doesn't seem to exist.
The trim in the room is a dusty rose. Almost peach, but more pink. but not real pink. and some green in the curtains.
Do you know how hard it is to find fabric that color?
3 Sisters Whitewashed Cottage is really good. i can't find a LQS that carries it. I'd like to see and feel it.
I only need 3 different fabrics for the dresden fan and the plainish one for the background. I know I need good contrast to the background and each other. But don't want one blade to stand out from the others.
Don't know if that makes any sense.
I might just have to bite the bullet and order from 3 Sisters. Anyone ever used them?
SVAL
Try searching for fabric by calling it "salmon" or "pale salmon", or " pastel salmon"? I would check forties or civil war fabrics...
Old 04-22-2015, 09:58 AM

Ok. Now I think I'm bailiing on this design. I got two of the sample blocks done and sewed them together. It's almost impossible to get them to match up and have a smooth flowing line. This is ceasing to be fun. This is supposed to be what it looks like. Scroll all the way to the bottom. Any suggestions how to get the blocks to meet up?

http://wannaquilt.com/patterns/dresd...fanpattern.pdf

Last edited by sval; 04-22-2015 at 09:59 AM. Reason: More info
Old 04-22-2015, 10:41 AM

I use heat resistant template plastic and starch when I applique. I use a little paintbrush to apply the starch, use the tip of my iron to turn the fabric over the plastic and press it down. It works great!! You may have to snip into curves on the 1/4 seam allowance for everything to lay flat. This makes the edges perfect!!! I have prepared a lot of shapes this way, slipped them into a magazine or book and when I am ready to hand sew them to a background they are ready to go with me wherever I go. You may want to try this on your fans. Best of luck and please share what you do.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 AM

Use a cardboard template the size of your actual curve. (I use cereal box cardboard). Put a dot of glue where you want to stick the fabric. Press with a hot iron and it will dry the glue. When done, let it rest for five minutes, then remove the cardboard and press again. You may need to clip the curve here and there to remove bulk before setting the glue. This is how I've done it and it worked great!! The shiny covering on the cereal box will not let the glue stick permanently, so you'll be able to pull the cardboard right out to press for the final rounded edge.