Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tiny squares >

tiny squares

tiny squares

Old 04-22-2015, 09:23 AM

If I had them, I would use them to make Wild and Goosey 3" squares. Paper pieced, of course.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 AM

I wouldn't use them. I'd either offer them to someone for free or use them to stuff a doggie pillow (or put them as starter in our fireplace).
Old 04-22-2015, 10:08 AM

Using spray baste line them up on a longish piece of wash away stabilizer, ( 12" x 36") in a pleasing pattern. Have them near or touching. Top with another piece of wash away stabilizer, and start stitching in rows or meanders until you are sure you have sewed on each piece at least twice in two different directions. Sew with a quilting foot. Just keep sew- doodling until you like what is happening. (You can add pretty pieces of yarn, sparkle threads, or fabric strings between the layers of wash away before starting stitching) once you are satisfied with your wonderful piece of "made" fabric, hand wash the stabilizer away, let dry, and you have a nifty artistic neck scarf.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:42 PM

I don't have any ideas for you but, just wanted to say you are getting some very creative suggestions and they are giving me way too many ideas for future projects!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

Lynnie! You are posting!! How cool is that?

As for the little pieces, I would rather set my hair on fire than to try and piece those small blocks. I have seen them ironed onto a gridded interfacing and sewn to make those watercolor quilts. But, you are better than me if you would try that one!

I only know this because of reading a book on the watercolor quilts. I never tried it myself.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
A few years ago Eleanor Burns did a show on using small fabric squares by fusing them onto a fusible grid then she accordion-folded vertically and sewn the 1/4" seam allowance, then repeated horizontally. I would suggest checking her site for more information. Her finished project was perfectly assembled and thought this is a method on my "to try" list.
I was about to mention this.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:30 PM

Now there is a challenge if I have ever heard of one. Looking forward to what you come up with.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:45 AM

Crumb blocks
Old 04-23-2015, 10:05 AM
mac

If you starch the heck out of them, you may get them to lie flat. Then I would make a 'mini' quilt wallhanging, mug rugs, coasters, pot holders or put them together for a small coin purse. In fact, there is a pattern out there to make a little snap purse using metal tape measures for the closures, really easy to make. I would definitely use the squares up with one of these small projects.

You could even hand sew them while waiting for a doctor's appointment or watching TV. I make little hexies while waiting for my appointments and it is amazing how many you can put together in that time.

These little projects would make wonderful gifts to have on hand for birthdays or Christmas or just for giving away or even for boutique's to make a little 'mad money.' Have fun.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:06 AM
mac

Originally Posted by Ms Grace View Post
Crumb blocks
What are crumb blocks?