Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many quilts do you finish in a year? >

How many quilts do you finish in a year?

How many quilts do you finish in a year?

Old 04-24-2015, 06:17 AM

It really varies. Work is the main factor for me - I work more than 40 hours a week sometimes; it tends to go in spurts. If I'm tired or stressed I don't work on quilts because I end up making mistakes and becoming MORE stressed. So when work is hectic I don't sew at all on work days and little on weekends. When work is light I sew more, and when I'm on vacation I sew practically non-stop!

This year...I don't think I've finished any quilts this year yet. Lots of stuff in progress and a couple nearly done though, I can't work on just one thing at a time. Last year I probably finished about a dozen quilts. Year before was a busy one, I think I did 23 quilts that year. I'll probably finish at least 10 quilts this year. I have lists, somewhere... LOL
Old 04-24-2015, 07:00 AM

I'm with Future Quilter - I start a lot but finish very few per year.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:02 AM

I'm also in the "start quite a few, don't finish them" boat. I probably finish about 8-10 a year, and most of mine are lap size.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes it's 1-2 bed size quilts, but I also make wall hangings, table runners, placemats, purses, tote bags, mug rugs, etc., etc., whatever strikes my fancy and whatever my body will let me do. I'm just finishing a family reunion quilt for the July 4th reunion in KS, but sending it to my niece who has a long arm. In may I'm having shoulder surgery, so don't know how much I'll get done after that; but hopefully in the long run it will allow me to do a lot more than I can now.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I asked the question introspectively. I would hope we are not measured by the number of quilts we complete. The complete life takes in so much more. I am at a point where I am trying to honestly evaluate how much of my stash I will be able to use up and how many quilts on my wish list I will be able to complete. I also like to try new techniques and have a list of those. After reading replies to this thread, maybe I am not quite as slow as I thought I was, since I seem to choose complex quilt patterns.

I admire those of you who complete so many charity quilts. What a labor of love. I marvel at how much of your lives you dedicate to providing warmth and comfort to others.

The answers to this thread also help me reflect on the creative outlet quilting provides and the beauty it provides for the quilter and the receiver of the quilt, whether it is a stranger or a loved family member.

I think think we all measure up.

beautiful reply
Old 04-24-2015, 04:13 PM

I make about 6 charity quilts usually about 60 x 60 a year and probably about 6 bed quilts usually a queen size. I do a lot of othert things like purses, table runners, Christmas presents. I usually sew about 5 or 6 hours a day.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:08 PM

I'm a hand quilter, too. And work full time. So I manage about one every 9-11 months. Did one full size bed quilt, that was the 11 month one, then decided to keep them to nap/lap size.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 PM

I made one quilt this last year, 18 squares of Dear Jane and a place mat. I still have ufo's from previous years. I find I have to be in the right mood (not tired) to sew and then all my housework has to be done beforehand. I say every year I need to make a bigger commitment to sewing as I love it - I am in 2 sewing groups which I hugely enjoy. My problem is I spend too much time reading quilting mags/latest books/history books etc- less reading more sewing I think!!
Old 04-25-2015, 03:50 AM

Good question. Last year I completed 5 crib size or wall hanging quilts. This year I have three crib size or wall hangings done already and one on my sewing machine. Since I have a few hobbies, I guess it depends on what I feel like working on over the course of the year.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

I get the tops pieced then procrastinate