Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible batting, overwhelmed rookie >

Fusible batting, overwhelmed rookie

Fusible batting, overwhelmed rookie

Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 PM

If you did the strips on every one block to start, say horizontally then repeat vertically. The go back and do the rest it could look like it was woven. That would give it a totally different look. Just a thought.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Ok all is not lost. Actually this can be a happy accident if you make lemonade out of it. How is that for globbing together a bunch of sayings?? What I would do at this point is to put a backing material onto the back and take a fabric I like that will be either bold if you like that or subtle and make 1.5 inch strips. Fold them in half right side out and sew 1/4 inch making a tube. Then I would take one tube and lay it onto one row of blocks lining up the raw edges and sew the 1/4 inch through the strip, the block, the batting and the backing all the way from one side of the quilt to the other. Then fold the strip over to cover the "seam" and onto the block opposite it. Sew it down making a "sashing" between all of the blocks. Do all of the seams vertically and horizontally. It will be beautiful and quilted too.
I have a couple concerns about giving this project to a beginner. This would be trying to learn so many steps at once without any experience. This quilt will be big and awkward and maybe not very securely layered to machine quilt. The other concern is trying to cover the raw edges with a 1/4" strip will at best only cover 1/8". I'd be afraid to use it or wash it in case it frayed .

I could be fun to try on a small project that didn't get much use.

I was thinking 1/4" finished strip, after reading all the comments. I apologize. I see your idea would be 1/2" wide finished, one side folded over the other top stitched, that should secure it down.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm, you could always add strips over the seams and sewn them down on both sides. taht would catch the blocks well.
cut strips of fabric maybe 2 inches wide, fold raw edges toward the center and press with iron.
then lay the strip down and pin. sew on each side.
then lay strips across the quilt on all seams and do same.
good luck.
i have one quilt i'm doing with rick rack but it's sewn together already; make the best of your mistake. it's a learning process.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:24 AM

Oops, meant every other row both ways then come back and finish the rest for a woven look. Sorry couldn't spell. :oops:
Old 01-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Power Poster

Since it is a scrappy and happy bunch of fabrics, you could use a wide rick-a-rack over the seam line and sew things down that way. (Rickarack is not my favorite, but I think there are moments when it could be useful).
Old 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM

a beginner could make sashing out of any long narrow woven or knitted stuff, as long as the shrinkage rate is the same as the rest. in this case, everything was prewashed, so the sashings should also be. but the sashing could be any pretty ribbon or decorative trim that matches the quilt top. creating a sashing out of fabric and sewing it to the quilt top, matching raw edges with 1/4" seams, and ironing over the rest of the tube, and then stitching that down in place, may be more effort than the original quilt was to have been. when i see the original quilt, i see that a simple pattern was chosen. the sashing method described is much more difficult for a beginner than the quilt. using a premade sashing of some kind, i think kwhites idea of straddling the squares is great.

i agree with the rest of you that too many 'lessons' in one project may be too much for beginner. walk before you run, right?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:04 AM

With some of the fusible that I have used, if you reheat again, you can lift the patches off. My way will be time consuming so I think that K's idea is much better and as another mentioned, you will have your sashings all in place.

Good luck and let's see the fisinshed quilt.

mj
Old 01-10-2010, 12:47 PM

Or if no one has suggested it you could use really wide rick rack. I've seen that on a lot of quilts. Is this for you or a child? I would put the wide rick rack...but that's just my crazy brain wave!! I'm sure it will come out just fine!!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:52 PM

I also like K's idea. I would really like to see a photo of the finished quilt with the sashing.