Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cutting up scraps! >

Cutting up scraps!

Cutting up scraps!

Old 04-27-2015, 02:05 PM

Talking

I'm a fairly new quilter and I'm discovering how fast a stash can get out of hand. My space is pretty small as well so I had to embrace some sort of system to keep living space available for me and hubby. I adore scrappy quilts so I cut strips, 3 1/2, 2 1/2. 2" and 1 1/2 out of anything a quarter yard or less. It makes it so much easier cutting postage squares at swap time or when I need a quilt for a quick gift. Once I get more organized I'll start making larger strips as well. I figure if I can use it up faster I can buy more fabric that much sooner. lol
Old 04-28-2015, 05:14 PM
mac

Boy, non-quilters, would surely laugh at all of us. But, those that do, I ask them, "what is your hobby and what do you save?" Shuts them up real fast. We ALL have something we collect. I can't believe how many beer cans my mother cut into squares to make those crocheted beer hats in the 70's. And she doesn't even drink beer!
Old 04-29-2015, 06:25 AM

Here is a great quilt that uses 2.5 and 4.5 inch squares. I cut mine using the value die that came with my Accuquilt Go.
http://www.pleasant-home.com/2012/01...nic-quilt.html
Old 11-01-2015, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I usually keep scraps whole until I have a specific use/size in mind, then cut them. But I don't do a lot of scrappy quilts. I always worried if I cut them I would find a pattern that called for larger pieces or strips.
That is EXACTLY why I keep my scraps in bins by color. Cut as I need.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:42 PM

If I like the fabric, I'll get as much as I can out of it. If I don't, the scraps go in the trash. I had too much, I didn't feel like sorting it and no one wanted it unsorted - so in the garbage it went,
Old 11-01-2015, 04:48 PM

I don't cut mine until I know what size i need. Then when I do use some, I have scraps from the scraps. What are we hoarders to do.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:53 PM

Hang in there SuzzyQ. and prays from me to you!
Originally Posted by SuzzyQ View Post
Gee ... I have six or seven LARGE totes of scraps since I collect from other quilters to make dog beds. I can't bear to throw anything out. DH gave me a GO BIG for Christmas and now I am sorting and cutting merrily. If I really don't like the fabric or it's not good quality I IMMEDIATELY rotary cut it into bits for the dog beds. Otherwise it's 2 1/2" down to 1" strips WOF and 10" 5" and 2 1'2" squares - and I will be donating a lot of that to my local 4-H clubs to be used for a quilting project (modern) that I'm writing.
Yeah I have a way to go. But I figure it gives me a reason to get up in the morning - I was just diagnosed with breast cancer ... but my prognosis is excellent and I have no reason to believe otherwise.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Only once did I cut my scraps to a specific size before I picked my scrap pattern. I learned the hard way to pick my scrap pattern first then cut.
I'm with you, Lori! Unless you have a project in mind, cutting may be wasteful. What if you decide you need 3" blocks, and you just cut all your 6" scraps into 5" squares?
However, if the choice is between cutting and tossing into the recycle bin, I suggest you sort scraps by the size square(s) you can cut with the least waste.

I just added a post "squares that play well together" in tutorials.

Last edited by quilting cat; 11-01-2015 at 10:04 PM. Reason: new post reference
Old 11-02-2015, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Every now and then I get a bug to do something with my scraps. I press them and layer on a Go die to cut squares of all sizes. I have several bins full of cut squares. I'm just saving the scraps in a different form. It never ends.

Sounds like me.....and some scraps will be used in crumb squares or strips onto adding machine tape ( bought a bunch at a garage sale!) too! Actually that is my plan for next week......hopefully!
Old 11-02-2015, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Only once did I cut my scraps to a specific size before I picked my scrap pattern. I learned the hard way to pick my scrap pattern first then cut.
Yes this. I keep scraps and then cut them to the size I need.