Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One armed quilters? >

One armed quilters?

One armed quilters?

Old 04-28-2015, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

My quilting friend had the same surgery. She wasn't allowed to use her arm at all except for the PT for months. It took about a year for her to be completely recovered.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Wishing you a complete recovery - - - -
Old 04-28-2015, 07:08 AM

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice. It has been 5 months since I've done any quilting or any hand work at all. I have trying to follow all the dr. advice.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:18 AM

I too wish you luck in your recovery. Take it slow. Let your body heal. And maybe take this time to soak in the inspiration. Savor your stored fabric. Enjoy your orderly sewing space and keep telling yourself the time will pass and you will be back to sewing in no time.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:04 AM

As an exercise physiologist (gerontology) I work very closely with physical therapists. I get their patients when the insurance runs out. I work in an independent living facility with healthy, smart 65-93 year olds. My advice would be don't start doing any machine quilting until you have some physical therapy under your belt. Your first priority should be doing the physical therapy and not re-injuring the rotator cuff muscle. I cannot emphasize enough that you should do any home exercises the physical therapists have given you. This should be first priority. The people who recover from these injuries are the ones who work very hard in physical therapy and do their homework and don't do anything they're told not to outside of physical therapy. Talk to the physical therapist about starting to sew. Make sure they understand exactly what quilting involves as most of them don't really know much about sewing or quilting. Let them know this is a priority for you. If you're in a lot of pain as you sew, that's a sign to stop. It may make sense to do some of the physical therapy exercises before you start sewing so you're 'warmed' up.

It also may make sense to start with hand sewing. Perhaps a crazy quilt?

When my 92 year old mother was injured she had physical/occupational therapy. One of us was there with her the first 6 weeks. She had 90 minutes a day. She had to do 1 hour and then take a nap and come back for the rest. 8 weeks later she went from skilled nursing back to independent living, walking a mile a day. It was hard work but its doable. It's tough having an exercise physiologist for a daughter. Every day I ask her what exercise have you done mom?

I wish I could make you better today.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:15 AM

I read in a quilting magazine about a woman who had had a stroke, loosing use of one side of her body. She was determined to not lose her quilting, her passion. She sews one handed, rotary cuts one -handed (using clamps to secure the ruler & fabric to her cutting surface.

I found these two: by googling "quilting after a stroke"

http://amarillo.com/news/local-news/...nded-adventure
http://www.strokesurvivor.com/Stroke...t06-3pages.pdf

Neither of them are the woman I read about.

That said, I want to acknowledge that an INJURY is a different thing from a stroke. You have healing to do. Please be wise with regard to your recovery. Find out from your Dr and phys therapists what you are allowed to do, movement wise before you try.

I am sorry you hurt yourself. I hope you heal quickly & completely!
Old 04-29-2015, 04:47 AM

My husband has had both his rotator cuffs repaired with bad tears. It is a slow and painful process. Follow the doctor's orders and stick with the physical therapy. In time you should have all or most of your range of motion back if you stick with the plan. The physical therapy is so important.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Are you interested in hand sewing or EPP?
Exactly my thought. Do you have any interest in hexies? They can be addicting once you start. The only real investment would be if you purchase the hexie papers. But they can be found online, printed out and hand cut. Use up some of those scraps you have. Once you have the papers, the fabric can be cut in squares ( again by hand) Hexies are measured along the sides, not across. Add 1.5 inches to the size of your hexie to figure out how big to cut your squares. IE 1" hexie (what I started with) needs a 2.5" square and 5" hexie needs a 6.5" square. And everything in between! If this doesn't work for you, try googling hexagon graph paper. http://www.printablepaper.net/category/hexagon_graph
Old 04-29-2015, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Friend of ours had surgery or her rotator cuff also. Few months later she fell and broke her elbow. Had problem to find a table that could adjust to her. Went to medical supply store and got her a bedside table like they use in the hospitals. They can go pretty low. Worked for her. it's her most used table now. Her DDs and DILs helped with her cutting needs.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:47 AM

Being basically one-handed after a stroke. I quilt and sew by machine
only but I do have a tendancy to pull quilt or item to the right I co mpe nsate for that if I notice it. I also use lots of sa ndpaper dots on rulers. Most of all you just adapt.