Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
ssshhh...Don't tell Janie! >

ssshhh...Don't tell Janie!

ssshhh...Don't tell Janie!

Old 05-01-2015, 01:53 PM

Super special....
Old 05-02-2015, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by dilyn View Post
http://www.themotherhuddle.com/turn-photographs-into-coloring-pages/This site will tell you how to make yourphotos into line drawings. This program works better than the Crayola site. I did that then traced the area of the drawingthat I wanted to use with a sharpie pen to make it very dark.Then I traced the drawing onto the fabric.I used black thread to get the photo ‘drawn’on then went in with ‘flesh tone’ thread to make some shadow effects and to adddepth and life to the hair.Always rememberto leave a little white highlight in the eyes so they sparkle with light. Thenadd the background and fill stitches in the face and body with thread thatmatches your fabric.That’s all I didand I have to admit it was just luck that it turned out as well as it did sinceI’ve not seen any like this and did not have any instructions for it.
You must have an art background. Your piece is just wonderful. I believe you have created a new technique. Perhaps you should consider doing a YouTube video. I know I've Googled everything I could think of and found nothing close. (I did find Nancy Prince threading painting info but nothing online re: portraits.) Guess I need to play around with how to do shading stitches.

I used the iPiccy progam. Do you use regular polyester thread or a embroidery thread?

Thank you for sharing!

Sharon
Old 05-02-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sharonquilts View Post
You must have an art background. Your piece is just wonderful. I believe you have created a new technique. Perhaps you should consider doing a YouTube video. I know I've Googled everything I could think of and found nothing close. (I did find Nancy Prince threading painting info but nothing online re: portraits.) Guess I need to play around with how to do shading stitches.

I used the iPiccy progam. Do you use regular polyester thread or a embroidery thread?

Thank you for sharing!

Sharon
I used both embroidery thread and quilting thread. The main criteria about choosing thread is 1. What colors do I have and 2. what do I want from this color...do I want a sheen, or to be less noticeable, etc. Since it is an art quilt and may never be laundered free yourself from rules and do whatever pleases you!
Old 05-04-2015, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dilyn View Post
I tried my hand at portrait quilting. This is a great nephew and niece. It measures 17 X18 and I put 4 corner pockets on the back with cardboard so she can hang it up. My sister has been out of the country for about 6 months and hasn't seen her grandkids since October. I made this for her Christmas present which we will be celebrating in June this year! Hope I can find my Christmas wrapping paper! I forgot to put a label on it, so I just used fabric marker and wrote on the corner pocket.

That is just awesome...
Old 05-04-2015, 07:00 AM

wow, what a keepsake. You are very talented.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

So real like
Old 05-04-2015, 07:39 AM

I was going to say if this is your 1st attempt at portrait quilting I am amazed! But I'm going to say I'm flat out amazed even if you've been doing it forever...
So, I'm flat out amazed!!!
You've got some wonderful talent!! I'm quite frankly speechless..and those of you on here that know me know I'm never speechless...lol

Regards,
Kif- who is in awe...
Old 05-04-2015, 01:19 PM

What a great memory quilt! You did a beautiful job. Know she will love it.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:13 AM

This is fantastic. You have mad skills as a quilter and an artist. You should be showing at quilt shows and art fairs and art galleries. Awesome, Awesome, Awesome.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:48 AM
lue

Wish I knew how to do that! It's beautiful.