Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it justified? >

Is it justified?

Is it justified?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:53 PM

Where do you get cheater panels for FMQ??
Old 01-11-2010, 10:55 PM

I don't know where anyone else gets them but I was just looking at Hancock's and they have many panels that are real cheap, a few dollars each for 24"x44" ones and other sizes.

Just do a search on "panel" and sort low to high.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:14 AM

Is it justified? I'd give it a definite thumbs up. But...
I purchased a Viking Megaquilter and Inspira frame about 4yrs ago. It was a good deal, I had the money, it would have paid for itself in a year. However, I found after just quilting 4 tops my knees and back just could not take it. My point - please take a good long test drive before you buy anything.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 AM

I bought my Tin Lizzie 18 two plus years ago and it is the best thing I have ever done. I don't do any fancy quilting yet but have done about 20 quilts on it so far. I told my husband that I did not want to wait to purchase it (I was age 60 at the time). I told him I wanted to get it now while I could enjoy it rather than wait until I was older and maybe not physically as able to enjoy it. I hope that makes sense. I love my Tin Lizzie!!! Go for it!!! Sounds like you deserve it. I have to say I did not set my Tin Lizzie up by myself, my husband did it for me. I am not sure I could have done it by myself, but maybe. I bought mine over the internet and not locally, so setup is a consideration you might want to think about. I hope you get it.
Good luck!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:57 AM

I just purchased my Tin Lizzie in October, best thing I ever did (almost). I set it up at 10' length and I am having a great time. It is a wonderful machine, easy to use and not complicated like some of the others. Go ahead and jump in to long arm quilting, you won't regret it!!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:08 AM

June, thanks for your input on the Bailey. I have been thinking about purchasing one, but the closest dealer is 600 miles away. I have a hard time spending that kind of money without trying it first! But I have 14 quilts ready to be quilted and can't afford to have them all done. I have been trying to justify the expense of a longarm or midarm. And most people around here have never even heard of the Bailey.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

well, here's my 2 cents worth...it would pay for itself...if you like doing it...and could be a (part-time) retirement way to make extra $$. if at all possible you should find a shop with a machine set up that offers classes..when i purchased my long arm i took a certification class on the machine, decided with practice it was doable and received a discount for the purchase. make sure if you buy the one you are looking at there is (tech support) somewhere within driving distance...you want a machine that you can get serviced when necessary...( i bought mine in Florida and live in Michigan...it sucks! i have no support and spend lots of time on the phone long-distance talking to reps in Utah when i have a problem) they are good, and have helped me, but sure would be a lot more convienient with something closer.
remember you are not going to set it up and immediatly quilt wonderful quilts...it takes practice......but with all that, it is a good investment, especially if you want to make a little extra, and you may find you make more quilts because you don't have to send them out.
i invite members of my quilting group to (rent time) on the machine, after they take a class($50) to learn to use the machine and do a couple practice quilts they can then call and set up time to come in and quilt their own for an hourly charge and i am here for help when needed and i help load them up and get it going...
good luck with your decision
Old 01-12-2010, 08:29 AM

Do you have any friends who are long armers that would let you "do a practice run? on their to see if you could handle it? Or at least they could give you some idea of what it takes to own one.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:30 AM

I purchased a long arm in September and abolutely love it.
It is an Innova 26",,, I would love to have more time working on it.. It does take a lot of practice but it is the most fun
Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 AM

I've been looking online at classes like at Longarm University. I will ask the ladies at the Sew Much Fun Friday that ESQMommy and I are going to this month about recommendations.

I've been watching videos online too. I am so excited to get my hands on it!