Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something? >

JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something?

JoAnn Coupons...Am I Missing Something?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Junkie
You aren't missing a thing, JoAnn's is missing the idea of what a coupon should represent. My erkkkk is that you can only spend one at a time. I have purchased something, taken it to my car and gone back and used another coupon to purchase again, how silly is that? If they don't want you to have the coupons why do they print so many?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 AM

JoAnn's where I live won't allow the coupons to apply to sale merchandise. The thing that really erkkkks me is that they won't let you spend more than one of a kind at a time. I have purchased something, taken it to my car, and gone back and purchased again. How silly is that? If they don't want you to use the coupons why do they make so many available? :hunf:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:30 AM

It is not store policy to do that. I have asked at three different stores, they all say the same thing. It does not apply to sale merchandise and they will not let you use the discount on that item at the reg. price. Personally, I think that they don' want to be bothered by alot of customers asking for this at the register.
It doesn't make any sense....if you can come back next week and use a coupon when the items goes off sale...
Sometimes a manager will allow it, but most of the time, not.
I purchase their JoAnn's magazine, can't remember it's name, when they come out...about three times a year. On the back are 40 and 50% off coupons on the back that last for 6 months. Of course the magazine cost you...only $2.95.

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
I just heard that if something is on sale, you can still use your 40 or 50% coupon even if the item is on sale. They just give you the 40 or 50% off of the regular price.

Has anyone else heard this?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:35 AM

I also get frustrated with Jo Ann Fabrics. I do use the coupons for batting and cutting supplies. I also have used the coupon like another person where they take off the coupon on the full price. Not all clerks will do this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-67167.jpe
Views:	97
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	67172  
Old 01-12-2010, 07:41 AM

Didn't mean to put quilt on reply. Trying to put it where my name is. Oh well I will try again.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:44 AM

Their coupon promotions ARE frustrating ... the staff at our store here is pretty good - but they WILL NOT take coupons on any sale items and haven't for some time now. It's unfair that store mgrs pick and choose what they want to honor - should be the same policy, company wide.

I usually buy a book or magazine, thread or notions with the coupons. But now they've even been putting magazines at 10% off, so, there goes your coupon ! Seldom find any fabric I need - or of the quality I would use, anyway. Our store also has fabrics that seem to have been there for years upon years, they never get rid of them !!

JoAnn BADLY needs to upgrade - in ALL their products. They've stayed the same for FAR TOO LONG !!! If they don't , they'll soon go the way of Hancocks here ... OUT OF BUSINESS. :? :cry:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 AM

they used to do that in the Joann's near me but now the coupon can not be used if an item is on sale but I agree with several of you that the coupons help you make your own sale.
zippers and bias binding packaged are just a couple of items which seem to never go on sale and I use my coupons on those. On the fabric types, they are getting somenew designer quilting fabrics lately so that is nice.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 AM

Our store has some fabrics that have been there for years and I'm not kidding. In fact one fabric was faded and I had the clerk cut that part out. She wasn't too happy about it so I just didn't get it. I buy my fabric at quilt shops. It is more expensive but it holds up better and many shops have some sales. I decided if I have to make less quilts it is better then using cheap fabric or faded fabric.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:53 AM

:oops: Honestly, and I am gonna do down in FLAMES for this, I can feel it... :oops:

Their store.
Their coupon.
Their rules.

They (the royal "They") ) create the rules. They print said rules on the coupons/advertisements/policy sheets.

They print the coupon. ONE gets mailed to each address in their data base (snail or email), or put into each newspaper. If (royal) you collect coupons from your friends and neighbors, create multiple email or mailing addresses to collect extra coupons, then (royal) you are the one creating a problem.

(Royal) you seem to be forgetting the POINT of an advertisement for a place of business IS TO DRAW IN CUSTOMERS. The purpose of the place of business itself, for the owner/investor is to MAKE A PROFIT.

How they make that profit is not part of this 'argument'....(as long as it isn't illegal, immoral or unethical)...

It is no different than your local grocery store ad that you peruse weekly. Or department store ad.

If you spent the better part of your (and I am going to drop the royal now, I think you get that I am not addressing this to any one person) parenting life teaching your children the difference between right and wrong, about how it is important to follow the rules, behave fairly and be honest, well, perhaps it's time to revisit those lessons.

The coupon states (and as I am not sticking to ONE store, I may be ad-lbbing) "ONE coupon PER customer PER day, not to be used on XXXXXX."

It doesn't say, sure, run outside, come back in; it doesn't say, piss off the cashier (and the customer behind you as you argue your case about using it on Sale items, or three at one transaction. Or ringing up one item per transaction, going through paying one at a time for a $3.99 --before discount--item.)

It doesn't state you HAVE TO BE ABLE to use the coupon.

You are all adults. You are intelligent enough to understand that it's designed to be a loss leader, not a gift to you. You are also (assuming you are reading this on the screen) literate, and can read the sale signs and not bring up something on sale to use the coupon on. (something being mis-signed or mis-placed is not part of my conversation)

It is designed to bring you into the store. Just as the Kleenex coupon cut out of the Sunday paper is designed to take $1 off one box, (of the size stated, not the size you choose to pick up)

The craft stores in the conversation above, carry something like 50,000 to 70,000 unique products. I have put sale signs up in two of the conversed about stores in my day, I can GUARANTEE you that there are tens of thousands of items that are NOT ON SALE at any given time.

The fact that you don't wish to purchase any of them is of no regard to the RULES printed clearly on the coupons.

As a corollary, (and I can feel this becoming a blog rave some day) there is as much complaining about the fact that discount store fabric quality stinks as there is about LQS fabric pricing is too high.

Think on it.

(running now, probably won't be allowed to show my face for a week once the $%$ hits the fan...)

:thumbup:
Old 01-12-2010, 07:55 AM

yes, sometimes I've noticed that even when a fabric is "new" to my store, there are sometimes fade lines in the cheaper ones. I guess the 'gris' does not always take the dyes but quality control seems to have gone out the window with many things now, not only fabric. I just keep my eyes open and the ladies at our shop are very helpful at cutting away anything that is not acceptable. Or, I just say no thanks, and try to remember that something of poor quality is not their fault.