Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some input >

Need some input

Need some input

Old 05-07-2015, 11:38 AM

I would definitely have her select the fabrics. Sometimes white on white includes some creams and light tans and sometimes some gray-whites and you won't know if she means the whole range or just the whites with different textures. I think a double wedding ring with your embroidery featured would be wonderful.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:30 PM

Martha Pullen has created several all white, and all off white quilts. She is mostly known for her heirloom sewing, but she might just be the best way to find ideas to make tjis work. Think laces, trims, ribbons, etc to get texture for light and shadow. Bridal lace medalions come to mind......
Old 05-07-2015, 08:25 PM

I did a small pillow with drapery fabric samples that was a variety of different patterns of cream color brocades in the quarter log cabin pattern. The "center" starting square was a contrasting color.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:50 AM

Do you have an embroidery machine? If so, how about one color background ( or various shades) with colored thread that are of one or more contrasting shades. Example: white on white background with tan embroidery thread. See link.
http://www.oregonpatchworks.com/thum..._files/005.jpg
Old 05-08-2015, 02:59 AM

There are different "whites" even the brighest white (optic white) will vary from vendor to vendor. Not a big deal....it will add visual interest. Heck, mix it up with optic whites and cream whites but, yes, get her involved.perhaps pick up some fat quarters and do a test sew. Make a table runner! Also, your quilt shops can be very helpful with ideas. Get them involved in helping you with ideas, patterns etc.
sandy
Old 05-08-2015, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
my dd is getting married this year. I tried very hard to get her to let me make her one of these: https://www.amishcountrylanes.com/Pages/hs6876.shtml

she picked out some almost 30's colored mod prints. And a HST based pattern. It will be fine, but I still dream of the other one.
Stunning example!
sandy
Old 05-11-2015, 03:28 PM

You could use all white fabrics in different textures like satin, moiré, cotton, velvet, burlap, linen, lace and eyelet etc..

Or use different white fabrics for each motif in the quilt. Like all velvet stars or alternating satin and linen stripes or log cabin pattern or maybe a row of burlap triangles then a row of silk triangles, then cotton, then velvet, etc..

Or just use all the different white fabrics in 4" squares and make it a WHITE scrappy.

How about appliqued white velvet bunnies and white satin birds and white linen leaves on a tiny WOW print and then use white satin 1/4" ribbon to create branches?
I made wedding dress quilts and used lots of white laces and pearls and beads along with the white fabrics.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:46 PM

Marshalls dry goods has quite a few white on white fabrics.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the link, I love the pattern and am putting it on my to-do list.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:16 PM

For the embroidery, I used DMC regular embroidery thread but used three strands. I sew all my embroidery by hand because the only machine I have is a 1948 Singer 15-91. It has a beautiful stitch, but nothing fancy. I have only been sewing since last September and had to take a couple of months off for a move to Ecuador. I will definitely post some pictures once I get this project going. Thanks for all your input, you all are great!