Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Fate at garage sales, go figure... >

Fate at garage sales, go figure...

Fate at garage sales, go figure...

Old 05-09-2015, 05:06 AM

Default Fate at garage sales, go figure...

Hi all! I've been busy changing careers, getting ready to move, huge downsizing sale, packing, etc. So yesterday I went to Winnebago, MN for their city wide garage sales just to navigate for a friend. Only about 10 sales (it's a small town) and because I wasn't looking for any sewing machines and because I can't buy anything right now, what did I find? 2 Free treadles in lovely cabinets, an Old Maryland (?) treadle in a nice cabinet, about 10 various machine heads, a great 1970's Necchi & a 1990's Singer. All I could do was drool and say, Non, No, No, No while in my head I was saying other stronger words. The most expensive was a Free in a nice cabinet which needed work on the door hinges and that was $60. Some things were in bad shape some in very nice condition. Winnebago is about 9 mi. north of Blue Earth, MN on 169 or about 35 mi. south of Mankato, MN. if anyone wants to check things out today.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:26 AM

ummm - NO!!!! I have other things do to (but it's not that far . . .) temptation, get behind me!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:51 AM

Oh, oh. That's pretty close to me!!
Old 05-09-2015, 06:55 AM

Cathy,
If I wasn't moving in 1 week, I'd pick up anything you wanted & hold it for you. Moving to a small 1 bedroom apt in Mpls from a 3 bedroom apt with a lot of storage is a challenge. I did rehome the Minnesota C to someone who will display it at the local show. She begged for it as her name is Caroline and she is a Minnesota C. The Sphinx went to LikingQuilting in Winnebago.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:35 AM

You're making me sad and I'm nowhere near you. That's why I try not to go out looking when I don't have money. That's when you see the best stuff.
Good to hear from you again and good luck with your career change and move.
Rodney
Old 05-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I can sympathize!!!
Old 05-09-2015, 10:27 AM

Glad the Minnesota found a good home since you needed to move it on. That was one of the prettiest machines I've encountered.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:27 PM

Crap... I was in the market for a machine Last week and could not find or win a bid to save my Behind. and there are areas that are Machine Fat it sounds like.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:18 AM

GreyQ, you were a GREAT inspiration for my diving into the quilting world. And, yes, I know I got you started on your love of the old machines. Isn't it funny how things mesh so nicely sometimes? I wish you all the best in the big city and new career, but know how very much you will be missed down here. Hope to get to the quilt show this summer and see you then.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:06 AM

Thanks Liking Quilting! You're a great friend! I should have mentioned that the treadles were in parlor cabinets, but that would have made you all too sad at missing them. I have never seen so many machines out for sale at any citywide sale day. Karma being a tease.