Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines? >

How many sewing machines?

How many sewing machines?

Old 05-09-2015, 03:06 PM

I have my Mom's very old Singer treadle machine which my father electrified sometime in the 50s: it's in storage.

I also have a very old Austrian (possibly German) brand treadle machine.

Then there's my original 1965 Elna Supermatic. Plus two more off eBay to cannibalize for parts.

And my Sweet Sapphire ~ she's a Husqvarna Sapphire 875 Quilt.

I check out garage sales for a Featherweight but, so far, no luck.
e
Old 05-09-2015, 03:32 PM

I have four sewing machines, and one serger.

- My first machine, a two-tone green Singer Fashion Mate 252, was a gift from my Grandmother in 1975. I've dragged it all around the world. I still sew with it when I'm feeling nostalgic. I love it. It's my favorite!

- My second machine, a red and white Bernina Activa 230PE, along with its wheeled tote, was a birthday gift from my husband a few years back. It does everything except the supper dishes. I love it. It's my favorite!

- My third machine was a FreeCycle Score! I was given a Singer Deco 42 cabinet that included "some old machine that's still inside." The "some old machine" was a pristine black iron Pfaff 130-6, with all the original accessories, plus some extras, the instruction booklets, sales receipts...everything! I love it. It's my favorite!

- My fourth machine was too cute to pass up at the Thrift Store. It's another black iron lady - an electric Singer 15-91, circa 1954. It's in a small Singer console table with a knee control. It has all its parts - bobbin and case, needles, power cords, etc. It runs and is in almost new condition; total cost $49. I love it. It's my favorite!

- The Pfaff 4874 serger was a total Christmas surprise from DH in 2008. He picked it out, got extra accessories, a wheeled tote, and lessons. It's a seaming monster; I love it. It's my favorite!

Last edited by Caroline94535; 05-09-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:07 PM

I think we got 13. 5 Antique singer featherweights(one for parts), 2 Antique Singer Treadle, Singer 66 electric, Babylock Evolve Serger, Bernina 1630, Bernina 200, Bernina 830 newer model, Gammill Classic Plus Longarm. I like beautiful things.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:20 PM

I have 30, from 1800's to 1990's I love them all! As you said, each has it's own personality. It's an addiction, true, but a good one. BTW I do sew a lot! We built them their own room, not finished inside yet but when it is, I can reclaim my house.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:25 PM

Sewing Stash, I see you are in Texas too. Anywhere near San Antonio?
Old 05-13-2015, 07:37 PM

8. The last one I bought was a cheap 125 dollar Singer at a garage sale, for 20.00 bucks. I brought it home, cleaned it, oiled it, and it works great !
It's going to my 11 year old granddaughter tomorrow.
I've already zapped out 4 pair of P J's on it last week.
I have an old Singer from another garage sale.
I also have an old Kenmore that I refuse to give up.
I have beautiful teal/blue Singer from the 1950's. Still running good too.
Singer Serger, Esante Embroidery Machine, Juki 85, Juki 2010 for quilting.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:39 AM

Wow!!! I don't feel so bad anymore after reading all your posts

I've got 6 total....

2 Sergers (Singer ProFinish & Brother 1034D)
1 Janome 525S (my first machine)
1 Viking Designer SE LE (my embroidery machine)
1 Viking Eden Rose 250C (my main machine)

Latest Addition - Juki 2010Q - Hubby purchased for me last month

I never thought in a million years that I would need more than one machine, but as my skills grew... so did the need for a more advanced machine
Old 05-14-2015, 10:06 AM

I've been setting up my sewing machine display room - I have 65 machines out there right now. I've probably got that many still in the house.

I have about 6 that get used regularly, and DH has 2-3 he uses often. The rest are for looking at, though almost all of them could be made usable.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:38 PM

I used to never understand why a person would need more than one sewing machine.

When I got bit again by the quilting bug this year, I got bit hard!

I wanted to sew and sew and sew!

But my poor old sewing machine had to go to the doctor and I had no back up! It was awful waiting for my machine to get back!

For years my only machine was a Singer 9022. Nothing special but it worked for me and I loved it

I bought another one for a back up. It's a Sphinx Reproduction. I paid too much for it and it was awful until it had a few spa days. Now it's nice and quiet and pieces very nicely

I also picked up a White from the 80's or 90's for 20 bucks at the thrift store so I could have another backup that did ZZ

No attachments, it came with the wrong foot. Gave it a spa day and the correct foot for six bucks and it sews nicely

I will use all three of them regularly. Piecing on one, deco stitching on another and a backup.

I'm not afraid of my sewing machines getting messed up anymore. Don't have to stop because one is in the shop

Very happy with what I have now
Old 05-14-2015, 08:01 PM

I think I have about 15 SM, plus two sergers (both of which need threading...may not be used for a while!). Picked up my 3rd Bernina 830 Record yesterday, and my DH accused me of hoarding! He doesn't understand, they are investments! I didn't actually tell him about the turquoise and cream White that I got at the same time! I love my Berninas - they purr! I love my Featherweight - it's such a convenient size and makes great stitches. I love all my green and blue ZZ machines - they just look so cool!

I've really never collected anything before - This is such fun!