Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it justified? >

Is it justified?

Is it justified?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 AM

I just bought the Tin Lizzie Queen Quilter, because I was told it was the upgrade from the Tin Lizzie 18. I was thinking a lot of the same thoughts you were. I have the money, but should really invest it for future income. Then it hit me - you only go around once, enjoy it. Do what makes you happy. I am still learning on it, and it is a huge learning curve, but I know I'll have it and use it fro the rest of my life, and possibly will it to my daughter. Maybe in time I'll get good enough to quilt for others, then it will have been an investment.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:01 AM

I recently bought an HQ 16 (comparable machine to Tin Lizzie), and I LOVE it! I had previously been quilting everything myself on my Viking Designer I, but justified buying the mid arm machine with these reasons:
1. I HATE basting quilts----no more of that now!
2. I could only quilt a block or design that was 7-9 " wide.
3. I had a huge backlog of quilt tops waiting to be quilted.

I also find that I am less intimidated about how to quilt and what quilt designs to use. I just load the quilt on my machine, and start quilting.
I have quilted some quilts with allover pantographs, and done some detailed free motion work. If you get a machine, check out longarmuniversity.com for some great videos and online instructions. Attached are pictures of a quilt made from an online class.

One of the best investments I ever made.

Online Longarm Mystery Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67180[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-67175.jpe
Views:	37
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	67180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-67176.jpe
Views:	78
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	67181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-67177.jpe
Views:	80
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	67182  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:16 AM

That looks great! I was watching videos on that site last night. I have many quilts to be quilted and most can be an allover or pantogram. There are some that really need a custom design that will probably have to wait until I get good at it.

Is Longarm University where you took the online class?
Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Yes, it was called Not Quite Traditional class. I think you can still sign up or access it.
The good thing about this site is that after you take the class and watch the videos online, she sends you the DVD so you can watch at your own pace.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:31 AM

[quote=ckcowl
i invite members of my quilting group to (rent time) on the machine, after they take a class($50) to learn to use the machine and do a couple practice quilts they can then call and set up time to come in and quilt their own for an hourly charge and i am here for help when needed and i help load them up and get it going...
good luck with your decision[/quote]

What a great idea! I would love to have the opportunity and would gladly pay the money to rent time on a machine to really test it out and see if I want to invest the money to buy it. Too bad thats not the normal practice.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 AM

HI Pam,
It is justified. A few books that I highly rrecommend reading before you even set it up just so you get and idea of how things work are Linda Taylor's Ultimate Guide to longarm quilting (if you don't buy it, get it from the library that's what I did) and Sue Nickels Machine quilting techniques. There is a great group on Yahoo dedicated to people with machine quilting frames and machines Yahoo home quilting systems. There is a forum just like here that you can ask questions and also files where they have sooo much stored information from machines, to threads, batting, on and on as well as some great books, dvd and other helpful learning products that are great for beginning longarmers/ frame quilters. I learned about that group here. Some other things you will need to keep in mind is that you will need leaders to attach fabric to frame (they may or may not be included with the setup). The setup does have a frame included right? I cant't remember if the TL 18 has a stitch regulator or not. If it is something you want make sure it is included as they can be pricey. they do require special needles and bobbins so make sure you get those as the wrong needles can cause big problems. Is setup included, if not, don't worry, setting it up yourself gives you an educatio about the machine and frame that you wwould not get having someone set it up for you. And practice, practice, practice. Good luckm have fun!!
Kim in Adirondacks of NY Husqvarna MQ w/ Inspira Frame and QCC
Old 01-12-2010, 10:35 AM

HI Pam,
It is justified. A few books that I highly rrecommend reading before you even set it up just so you get and idea of how things work are Linda Taylor's Ultimate Guide to longarm quilting (if you don't buy it, get it from the library that's what I did) and Sue Nickels Machine quilting techniques. There is a great group on Yahoo dedicated to people with machine quilting frames and machines Yahoo home quilting systems. There is a forum just like here that you can ask questions and also files where they have sooo much stored information from machines, to threads, batting, on and on as well as some great books, dvd and other helpful learning products that are great for beginning longarmers/ frame quilters. I learned about that group here. Some other things you will need to keep in mind is that you will need leaders to attach fabric to frame (they may or may not be included with the setup). The setup does have a frame included right? I cant't remember if the TL 18 has a stitch regulator or not. If it is something you want make sure it is included as they can be pricey. they do require special needles and bobbins so make sure you get those as the wrong needles can cause big problems. Is setup included, if not, don't worry, setting it up yourself gives you an educatio about the machine and frame that you wwould not get having someone set it up for you. And practice, practice, practice. Good luckm have fun!!
Kim in Adirondacks of NY Husqvarna MQ w/ Inspira Frame and QCC
Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 AM

I would check around with the different brands offered and make sure which ever one you buy the dealer will provide lessons and support. I know of one quilter who purchased a longarm and had a heck of a time trying to learn how to use it. She had it for months before they sent someone to help her out. Just a thought.

I do agree if you find one that you like and learn how to use it, you will be turning out alot of quilts and saving tons of money if you can quilt it yourself. Maybe even start a quilting business once you retire.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Where do you get cheater panels for FMQ??
Cheater panels can often be found at any fabric store. They are simply panels that already have designs on them, such as for children or for holidays. Below is an example of a cheater panel. The inside quilt part, the one with the pumpkins and leaves, is the panel. I simply added borders, sandwiched it, and quilted away.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-67430.jpe
Views:	76
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	67435  
Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM

That is so cute, Tiffany. Great quilting too.

I just talked to the shop I bought it from and he was really nice. He said he had it there to ship but thought he would offer me a deal. He has a Queen Quilter that was on layaway that fell through and he can sell it to me for only $500 more. He said it has a better frame and better electronics than the Tin Lizzie 18 (one reason why the 18 is being closed out), the stitch regulator is better too. So... I got the Queen Quilter.

If I have a problem I ship it back in the box and they pay shipping. Free servicing. They have 15 employees, including 3 mechanics and experienced quilters, and any question or problem they will help me with. If there is a problem they can't solve over the phone I ship it back for free to be fixed.

Best of all he says I should receive it on Thursday!!