Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a list of quality fabric brands/designers >

Making a list of quality fabric brands/designers

Making a list of quality fabric brands/designers

Old 05-12-2015, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

Looks like you have a really good list going already. Most of the ones I thought of were already on there.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Ghostrider has very valid points....like on everything else...the "name" doesn't always mean perfect.....

Btw...you said you had made/sold something and then had to refund $ because of fading after washing....many ?? in my head....how washed? how often? Care instructions included? Did you check for bleed/fade before construction?
I used to make cage sets for sugar gliders. Cotton on the outside and fleece on the inside. Never had anyone complain, nor have I had personal problems with fabric until I came across this one I purchased at Hancock. I prewashed all my fabric before sewing the sets. I made a bonding bag, that I kept and it faded out as well, so I knew what she was telling me about her set was so.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519495[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	giraffe set.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	519495  
Old 05-12-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by margecam52 View Post
You are going to find good and bad in every brand of fabric. I don't look at the name of the manufacturer...If ordering online, I take that into account, but it's not my deciding factor. If I buy a fabric online (usually batiks & muslins), I check it when the order comes in...if it's not up to my standards/needs, then I contact the company and return it. I've only had to do this twice in 10 years...so, not bad.
All those cottons you tossed because they weren't name brands, probably were just fine...I'd have used them, or donated them to charity.
Some were pretty thin. I sold them to someone who wanted them and I am donating some to charity as well.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
You do have some companies that are not the best. You really have to get to a quilt shop and start feeling the fabric. I usually stick with RK, Hoffman, TT , Northcott, Moda and RJR ( Jinny Beyer).
We have one local quilt fabric shop and she doesn't have what I would call a large selection.

I really need an experienced person to go with me and show me what exactly to look for. After feeling the quality in quilt shop fabrics I am turned off by the thin, soft fabrics I used to buy, even thought I love the prints.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by happy2quilt View Post
.... Never had anyone complain, nor have I had personal problems with fabric until I came across this one I purchased at Hancock.
And that explains everything.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

Just checked Hancock's web site - they still have Kona Solid cottons listed for sale (for $8.99/yard). A lot of people still seem tolike Kona solids.

I think almost any line can get a "bad" fabric now and then.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
And that explains everything.
Yeah, that is why I am trying to make sure I buy more quality fabric and am so concerned about who makes it and where it comes from.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:23 PM

just because your fabric has a fancy name on the selvedge, doesn't mean it's superior in any way.....all lines of all brands are not created equal, that's for sure. i recently bought some Phillip Jacobs for Kaffe Fassett -- those gorgeous cabbage rose prints & when i got it, it was SO thin i couldn't believe it! definitely inferior to LQS -- i should have complained or returned it, but i had other things going on & just never got around to it....won't happen again.....
Old 05-12-2015, 02:24 PM

I used to make cage sets for sugar gliders. Cotton on the outside and fleece on the inside. Never had anyone complain, nor have I had personal problems with fabric until I came across this one I purchased at Hancock. I prewashed all my fabric before sewing the sets. I made a bonding bag, that I kept and it faded out as well, so I knew what she was telling me about her set was so.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519495[/ATTACH]
Okay, totally off subject, I had to look up what a sugar glider was...lol.
Kif
Old 05-12-2015, 02:47 PM

Yeah, that is why I am trying to make sure I buy more quality fabric and am so concerned about who makes it and where it comes from.
It might be more beneficial for you to shop at 'quality' retailers in that case. And the list of 'questionable quality' fabric retailers is way shorter, and easier to remember, than the list of 'quality' fabric manufacturers will ever be.

A highly praised fabric shop, local or online, will not consciously sell inferior quality merchandise. They just aren't willing to mar their reputation in order to undersell the competition. Look at the shops named on your other thread. Odds are that any fabric you purchase from any of those shops will meet your 'quality' standards. And if it doesn't, most of them will work with you to make it right.

If you want to be extra safe, go with Keepsake Quilting. They have a no quibble guarantee. You can return any purchase at any time for any reason, no questions asked.