Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
$13 a yard???? >

$13 a yard????

$13 a yard????

Old 05-13-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Wow. Is that what everyone pays?

I had occasion to go to the closest LQS yesterday. I was pretty excited to actually shop in a real store and feel the fabric.

But I was quickly knocked down to size. Everything was priced about $13 a yard. That's a lot of money for a bed size quilt. I was interested in making myself a queen sized Dresden Plate quilt. Total of 30 yards front and back. That's $390.

How do you all justify spending that much? Especially for donation quilts.

Also, this particular store must be trending towards mod quilts. The majority of the store was batiks and brights. What about the reproduction crowd. or just some tasteful small prints?

SVAL
First of all, this is one time that you get what you pay for. Quilt shop fabric is pricier than JoAnn's, Wal-mart etc. BUT the quality is far better. If you are are going to go through the effort, not to mention the amount of time, it takes to make a beautiful quilt, why purchase cheap material? That being said, why on earth would you need 30 YARDS of fabric for a Dresden Plate quilt? Yikes!!!!
Old 05-13-2015, 02:34 PM

Sophiebernina is right. I was looking at a simple cotton with a faint gold pattern that was priced at £15 a meter so that's approx $23 for just over a yard if fabric. It seems US prices are so much lower!! X
Old 05-13-2015, 03:31 PM

I think they mean Marshall Dry Goods http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/prod...lters-calicos/
You won't need 30 yards of fabric for a queen size quilt. I think somewhere between 11-12 yards will make a quilt that is 80 inches x 100 inches for the front and the back plus about 1-1/4 yards for the binding. If you are using many colours for the blades you can buy small pieces. See what the smallest piece is that your LQS will cut for you. Mine will cut 4 inches.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:11 PM

I have seen 10-12 on average with a few at 13 so it is not unusual for fabric to be in that range. Fabric is expensive but still way cheaper than canada and europe so I find us quite lucky in that respect. I buy on sale when I can or when I have overtime money from work or tax refund. Either way the money will get spent on something and my work money goes to pay mortgage and my child private school so when I get a little me money thats how I justify it
Old 05-13-2015, 05:37 PM
mac

I can't believe it either. Where is it going to stop? Living on a fixed income prohibits me from purchasing such expensive fabric. I either wait until it goes on sale or until I have a good coupon. But if it is something that a really like and I don't think that it will go on sale, I'll bite the bullet and purchase it.

Just recently I bought some clothing fabric on sale and because I am a 3X I had to buy a bit more. It seemed that I was paying as much for the fabric as I was when buying it already sewed together from a catalogue -- and the fabric was on sale 40% off. After I finish sewing the fabric I bought I'll see if I saved anything. I may be back to buying from the catalogues again.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:09 PM

When you factor in the price of shipping which also has to be added to the 50% markup $12 - $13 is pretty normal. I do try to buy as much as I can on sale - if I can get my backing on sale and my background that is a huge chunk.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:40 PM

The shock to me of quilt fabric current cost is how fast the prices have gone up. I am sure that it was only about six years ago that I was paying $7.00 to $8.00 a Yard for quilt shop fabric. Anyone else have this memory or am I having a senior moment? It seems to me that quilt fabric inflation outstrips most anything else--unless maybe thread.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:13 PM

Default $ 13.00 a yard. Nope !

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Wow. Is that what everyone pays?

I had occasion to go to the closest LQS yesterday. I was pretty excited to actually shop in a real store and feel the fabric.

But I was quickly knocked down to size. Everything was priced about $13 a yard. That's a lot of money for a bed size quilt. I was interested in making myself a queen sized Dresden Plate quilt. Total of 30 yards front and back. That's $390.

How do you all justify spending that much? Especially for donation quilts.

Also, this particular store must be trending towards mod quilts. The majority of the store was batiks and brights. What about the reproduction crowd. or just some tasteful small prints?

SVAL
Try Marshall's Dry Goods.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:40 PM

When it comes to donation quilts I wouldn't pay that much, that is odd that they didn't have have cheaper fabrics.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:48 PM

Where I am in Ontario Canada, fabric runs anywhere from $12 to $18 a meter in the LQS.