Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No More Shopping for Me >

No More Shopping for Me

No More Shopping for Me

Old 05-14-2015, 10:16 AM

I too, have lots of fabric...LOTS! I justify it by telling myself that since fabric is so pricey now, having a huge stash is a good thing. I do still buy fabric if it's relatively cheap or if it's a fabric that I absolutely love. No guilt, no apologies. My husband encourages me, bless him! Once in a while there's a tiny bit of feeling overwhelmed, but I quickly put a damper on it. I love quilt making.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:18 AM

My friend downsized and donated the majority of her stash to a nonprofit that makes quilts and that was close to 2,000 yards. I personally have more than that, and it includes felted wool, silks and velvets, clothing fabric and lots and lots of quilting fabric. We have instituted a no fabric rule unless you absolutely, positively cannot find something in your stash for the quilt you are working on. So far, I have only purchased a couple of fat quarters for Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion mystery quilt. It is hard, especially when you see new fabrics that call your name.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:19 PM

It makes you stop and think if you stop and figure out how much money you have tied up in your stash.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:42 PM

I have to stay away from the fabric stores. I have way too much fabric.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:33 AM

It sounds like we are all in the same boat. I have a whole room full of fabric. I make at least 20 Linus quilts a month but it barely makes a dent in my stash. We are getting up in years and looking at moving into a retirement home. I started collecting plastic bags like they use in the stores for your groceries. I figured when we were ready to move I would invite all of my sewing and quilting friends to come and fill a bag for ten dollars or so each. I will of course have a sewing/quilting room where ever we end up but I just can't take it all. I have two embroidery machines, three sewing machines and a serger. Of course there are supplies for the embroidery machines like stabilizers and of course special threads galore. Don't forget various size rolls of batting etc. After looking at most of the retirement homes in our area we have put that on hold. Most of them were lovely but it would be like living in a luxury hotel. We are just not comfortable in that kind of place for everyday life. I am trying not to purchase anymore fabric. Of course my step-daughter gave me a gift card to Jo Anns' for Mother's day.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:44 AM

I have close to that amount, stashing up because I know when I retire the money be there to buy, buy, buy!
Old 05-15-2015, 05:52 AM

I too have tons of fabric and could not possibly move it all. When I get upset about it, I think of all the fabrics I still
love and how cheaply I purchased them for to help me feel better. My husband is very supportive - he built shelves
in the basement and attic for fabric storage, but now these are full and I was in a lull. So now he encourages me to sew, sew, SEW. I try not to buy anymore but if I see a beautiful fabric it is very hard to resist....-Judy
Old 05-15-2015, 05:59 AM

Well here is a really good idea to help you bring your stashes down .
Being a new quilter I,m always looking for left overs from people . You could send it to me LOL
I,ll even pay the postage .
When I see some of your sewing rooms I just drool it would be so neat to have a pile to pick from .
Some day i,m sure I will be there .

Have a good day every one
Tom

Last edited by piker6ca; 05-15-2015 at 06:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:09 PM

I also have way too much fabric, it became overwhelming for me to even go into my sewing room. So I ordered a bunch of space bags online and stuffed them full. After I vacuumed all the air out I was amazed at how little they got. Don't let the little pile fool you, it's heavy. My husband helped me and we labeled each bag with the contents and put it on the bag as well in a folder. So when I want something I know where it is and I just have to take it out and re-vacuum the air out. The bags are under our bed and now my sewing room looks so much better, not cluttered.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:40 PM

I love my stash and it is a good amount for me. I have a hard time resisting a sale so have unsub. to just about every online shop. If I need a particular thing, I know where to look. If something does get through, I do not click on it. I seldom go into a quilt shop and we have lots here.