Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do to get motivated? >

What do you do to get motivated?

What do you do to get motivated?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:13 AM

I get into slumps often enough. I have all these ideas swimming around in my head, have kits I could start on, and then I get overwhelmed! I find sewing with someone is motivating. Our service group meets twice a month and I find that helpful in not slipping into a long-term rut. Nothing to be ashamed of, these slumps. They happen to the best of us. This is a busy time of the year, though, with weeding, planting, church events, family occasions. So, I tend to those non-quilty things and know I shouldn't feel guilty that I'm not sewing. I'm taking care of the busy-ness of the season after a long winter.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz View Post
I think I figured out what the problem is.

I need to cut more 1.5" squares and hate cutting sometimes...
With a project that huge, I would have a hard time as well. I always have to have several projects in various stages so that if I don't feel like doing one, I can work on something else. Right now, I have one sandwiched and waiting to be quilted, one in cutting stages, almost ready to go on the design 'wall', one that I have half the blocks done, and a small hand pieced wall hanging in progress. Hand sewing really relaxes me.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:55 AM

Make some of those little Pillowcase dresses for little girls in Africa. Simple, quick and such a blessing.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 AM

I was having a hard time, my Mon lives with me and cannot be left alone. I could not hear her in my sewing room. I bought a monitor and put it in the hallway. I can hear her from the bedroom or living room now. I keep the receiver as loud as it will go and can hear over the sewing and quilting machines even with headphones on. When I hear movement or her call me I can check on her. Her sewing machine is set up in my sewing room and sometimes she joins me in there. The sewing and quilting help me deal with the harder things.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:33 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble getting any work done. For the last 6 months I've had knee replacement, respiratory crud, C-diff (yuck!) for 3 months, just starting to feel good and about at the point where my knee was finally rehabbed, when I totaled my adorable PT Cruiser--fractured my sternum and slammed my new knee into the dash--after sleeping 3+weeks in a recliner and starting to feel alittle better, discovered I have a blood clot in that leg and NOW have to rest and elevate about every other hour. And I'm wanting to be working on an art quilt, a storm at Sea for my daughter, need to do lots of intensive quilting for a show quilt, have a customer quilt to do and have some ideas swirling in my head for another quilt! And can't get to any of them!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I switch projects. I am working on making some Bible Bags for my friend who will be going on a missionary trip to the Philippines again. Sometimes you need relief from the larger more complicated quilting projects.
Mania, Do you make up the pattern or did you find one online? Perhaps you purchased it, could you send the link where I can buy one? (a Bible Bag.)
Old 05-18-2015, 07:37 PM

I'm another one in the slump boat. I am a teacher and it is May so I'm sure that might be part of it. This past weekend I just took it easy and did almost nothing. I'm not sure that is what I needed, but I did get some rest. I managed to finish a cute quilt top from a kit a couple of weeks ago, but I couldn't make myself put the back together and the fabric is sitting there. To top things off, we are leaving on vacation a few days after school is out so I keep thinking that I will not get to sew almost the whole month of June so I "should" be sewing now. Oh well...
Old 05-18-2015, 07:39 PM

well with the earth guake,s we get every now and then Silverfoxmag i just might get closer to you in MA in a few years at lease I hope we go in your direction and not the other way, then the drive well be shorter to meet for quilting Silverfox. lol
Old 05-19-2015, 03:30 AM

First thing is don't fret about it. Maybe your body is trying to tell you something. Take a break, get some extra rest, do nothing, go for a walk. Do something entirely different. I use to sweat about it but now just do as I want. The mojo finally comes back.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:52 AM

I get a cup (large) of coffee and visit Quilting Board and then I google a type of quilt, say "flying geese scrap quilt" and click images and browse through all the pictures and save a few to boot. Get another cup of coffee and repeat.