Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Wedding Dress >

Old Wedding Dress

Old Wedding Dress

Old 05-24-2015, 05:23 AM

Make christening gown or suit for boy, if there is enuf fabric, a bassinet is also a notion
Old 05-24-2015, 05:30 AM

I made a baptismal gown for my granddaughter out of my mother in law's wedding dress. So she had something from her great grandmother. It will be treasured in future generations.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:41 AM

I made a christening gown out of my dd dress. I was going to make a Christmas tree skirt out of the remaining fabric, but not sure I have enough left over. I like the idea of the angel tree topper does anyone have a pattern for that?
Old 05-24-2015, 05:42 AM

All of these comments bring us to the age old question. How long, or why, do we save things. I too have my wedding gown. 36 years. If we don't do anything with it. If we don't display it. If the fabric is too frail to make a different project out of. If it just is not up to being used for anything, then how long do we save it? Just so it's in a box in the attic and when I am gone my daughter can?? What?? Do what with it? Save it for another 30 years because it was moms? Don't get me wrong. I have no intentions of getting rid of mine. But I am a saver . My kids are not. All the things I store away for so long will most likely be donated when I am gone. So do I keep hanging on to them? Seems like I am creating more work for them? Sometimes I think guilt has me hanging on to things. I don't think you should throw out your wedding dress! I think this summer I will get mine out and look at it. There might be some usable parts. Maybe small pillows for all the grandkids.... Anyway, sorry for the rant. I may have gotten carried away . Sophie2, I hope you do something really great with your moms dress!!!!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:45 AM

There is a group that makes burial dresses and suits for stillborn and premie babies. They are made from wedding gowns.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:47 AM

Fizzie, I hear you. Although my kids never cleaned up after themselves so I figure this is my payback. They can clean up after me when I am gone ;-)
Old 05-24-2015, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Some have made small Victorian crazy quilts by using the embellishments and embroidery and incorporated maybe another dress. Depending on what kind of shape it's in possibly only cutting certain parts and lightly soak in Woolite and carefully rinsing and lay flat to dry. After I got married the first time, I took my dress to the cleaners and never went back for it. Actually, I just forgot about it. Never came up in conversation either.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:00 AM
Vat

I have made several Christening gowns from wedding gowns for babies/grandbabies of the bride. I try to keep the integrity of the original gown. I have made them for boys and girls. Good Luck with your endeavor ! !
Old 05-24-2015, 12:13 PM

Oh my, I just googled wedding dress quilts. I am blown away! Quilters are the most amazing Artist's!!! Good luck with your project.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
You could make an angel for the top of your Christmas tree from the satin and add some lace and beading to it from the dress. There would be more than enough fabric for more than one. Each sibling might like one.
This is a great idea. I think I will make one for each of my children - wedding gown has been in the closet a long time.