Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Machine Shed - ready for visitors! >

Machine Shed - ready for visitors!

Machine Shed - ready for visitors!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:00 AM

Cathy, I love your sewing house that you built, I have followed along since the beginning. So wonderful fo see your display of all your machines, the history that they cover and think of the things they may have sewn. I enjoyed your virtual tour so much. Thank you for sharing your love and passion for sewing and the machines we have used.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 AM

Thanks for sharing. I never knew there were so many different kinds of older sewing machines. I am learning a lot from here on the Quilting Board. My husband and son collect antique tractors, but I could hear my husband if I started collecting old sewing machines. hee! hee!

Some day, I just might have to go for a longer road trip to South Dakota than just to Sioux Falls to the Orthopedic Institute and see your wonderful collection.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:30 AM

One antique tractor will buy a lot of old sewing machines. Two will buy the machines and a place to keep them.
Just saying.
Rodney
Old 05-26-2015, 12:16 PM

Rodney - you hush up there! Don't want my husband getting ideas about selling my Oliver 1800.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:30 PM

Awesome display Macybaby! I would be speechless if I came to visit. Love to see your working girls too
Old 05-26-2015, 02:34 PM

The White you pictured is Very similar to the green Morse I rescued this week. I wandered through your museum again and savored every minute. Thank you again!
Old 05-26-2015, 02:41 PM

Cathy, your collection as pictured is wonderful. Your "Machine Shed" isn't really a "shed". It's truly a museum! I, too, would love to visit your collection in person, but Florida is a very long way away! Truly, the history you and Steve have collected with these machines really "speaks" to me! Love it!

Jeanette
Old 05-26-2015, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
One antique tractor will buy a lot of old sewing machines. Two will buy the machines and a place to keep them.
Just saying.
Rodney
I pointed that out to a coworker who was teasing me about all my sewing machines. He has a classic Ford pickup and I told him that if you weighed all my sewing machines, he's bought more steel than I have, and paid more for it too.

That shut HIM up! (But did nothing to quiet the guy who collects miniature trains, LOL)
Old 05-26-2015, 03:33 PM

Macybaby: So you have an Oliver 1800. Did you know the feature tractors this year at Albert City Threshermen show and Butterfield steam show are the Hart Parr and Olivers? There will be Olivers of all kinds. I really don't know much about the Olivers except for the ones that pull in the antique tractor pull at Graettinger's Labor Day. I get blessed doing the registration and awarding the prize money since my son is in charge of that.

I would much rather look at sewing machines. Oh, by the way, the son put up a new Morton shed in 2013 to hold his antique tractors. The shed is very nice. I used his big table in the office area to sew a 60 foot banner for the spaghetti dinner during the bike ride across Iowa last summer. I could put lots of sewing machines in his loft area.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
WOW Cathy. What a nice layout you made for your collections. I HOPE you don't have any earthquakes in the Dakotas.
that was my thought also the way books fly out of the bookcases here.... those dowels are a great idea. Museum wax
keeps things in place here ... unless the bookshelves tip ..... funniest thing was when the fridge shook and the frozen turkey flew out of the freezer and across the kitchen .... sorry, we all have old earthquake experiences.

This display of sewing machines is just wonderful, thank you for the pictures as I may never get to the Dakotas before I have wings.....but someday if you think there is a ghost admiring the collection, it just might be me.