Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rowenta vs Oliso >

Rowenta vs Oliso

Rowenta vs Oliso

Old 06-06-2015, 06:19 AM

I wonder if our iron problems are more related to how we use them, vs. how our mothers used their irons.
And the iron makers are still building them for our mother's use habits.

Mom did wash once a week, followed by an ironing day once a week. The first iron I remember was a flat sole and she used a sprinkler to prep before pressing.
The next was a Black and Decker steam, which I inherited some 20 years later, she decided being retired meant she didn't have to iron anymore.

But ... When she was finished ironing she always emptied out the remaining water. Always. Always.
We on the other hand leave our water in the iron and refill and refill and refill. And I've never heard anyone here (except in the starch in the iron thread) talk about iron maintenance... Letting it steam out on a rack over the sink. Most commonly with a splash of white vinegar.

Personally, I'd forgotten all about this step, and I'm thinking the way we use our irons, doing this once a month would probably eliminate the dirty bubbles that sometimes come out. Is that way you all mean by leaking?

It is a thought anyway, I'm going to give mine the sink spa treatment today.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:24 AM

Default Black and Decker

Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
I purchased a Rowenta a few months ago but it is still in the box, not because I had any issues with it but I don't want my husband using it to iron his clothes (for the price I paid). I, in turn, use his Black & Decker which is great for pressing blocks and small projects. If I ever need another iron, I will probably stick to B&D. : p

I too had problems with a Rowenta leaking so I purchased a Black and Decker and have been happy since.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I wonder if our iron problems are more related to how we use them, vs. how our mothers used their irons.
And the iron makers are still building them for our mother's use habits.

Mom did wash once a week, followed by an ironing day once a week. The first iron I remember was a flat sole and she used a sprinkler to prep before pressing.
The next was a Black and Decker steam, which I inherited some 20 years later, she decided being retired meant she didn't have to iron anymore.

But ... When she was finished ironing she always emptied out the remaining water. Always. Always.
We on the other hand leave our water in the iron and refill and refill and refill. And I've never heard anyone here (except in the starch in the iron thread) talk about iron maintenance... Letting it steam out on a rack over the sink. Most commonly with a splash of white vinegar.

Personally, I'd forgotten all about this step, and I'm thinking the way we use our irons, doing this once a month would probably eliminate the dirty bubbles that sometimes come out. Is that way you all mean by leaking?

It is a thought anyway, I'm going to give mine the sink spa treatment today.
When I had my LauraStar steam generator they recommended rinsing out the generator every so many hours. Since I could never figure out whether that was hours on or hours used, I just did a thorough rinse according to their instructions every time I had to refill. The iron worked for 10 years with a lot of heavy usage. You're probably right about the way our mother's used their irons vs the way we do. I mostly sew on weekends now and I think I'll start emptying my iron on Sunday night and letting it dry. I think I"ll try steaming it out, too.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:51 AM

I have had both. The rowenta leasks and the Oliso doesn't hold enough water and it can spit.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:53 AM

I love my Rowenta, but I'm on my third. My dials have been the problem. I also have an Oliso, which is much too heavy for me.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:17 AM

I have a Rowenta that I've had at least 15+ years, I use it as a dry iron as it started to leak after a few years, for me I like it's weight.

I decided I didn't want to spend a lot of money on irons anymore so I go with the philosophy irons have a planned obsolescence so it's inexpensive irons for me. I purchased a Shark from Wal Mart in the $30 range 3 years ago and it's still working with no leaking. That for me makes it well worth the price paid. I bought another Shark (same model) for back-up thinking I would need it sooner than later but this inexpensive Shark keeps on working.

I watch MSQ tutorials every Friday, on thing I've noticed is that Jenny has used the Oliso for quite some time. I've noticed that over time she has used several different colors. I've wondered if it was marketing or if they were wearing out and not working properly?

I just can't justify at this time in my life spending more than $50 for an iron when it seems that
ALL irons seem to have mixed reviews, here on this forum group and places like Amazon.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:37 AM

Buying an iron is more problematic than buying a sewing machine these days. There doesn't seem to be any manufacturer that you can depend on for a consistently good experience. Every positive story has a corresponding negative one. Sheesh.

I needed a new iron for my NC home. I have a Rowenta at our NY place that I've used for yers and really like. I don't put water in my irons so leaking isn't a concern for me. I just want heat and lots of it. I researched and bought a Rowenta Steamforce, which was rated #1 by Consumer Reports. It was hot but weighed a ton. My elbow started to ache after using it a while so I bought an Oliso. Still heavy but I don't have to lift it much. So far so good, but it's only been a few months.

I did look at the Rowenta website today and they tell you which irons are made in Germany. I think I will steer clear of any that aren't specifically labeled 'Made in Germany' in the future. Maybe that's the key.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:05 AM

The German Rowentas are better. Where the iron is made is on the box. The only China made Rowenta I have is the travel iron and that one has worked well. I actually wore one travel iron out and had to buy a new one.

I never put water in any of my irons. I prefer to spray, since there does seem to be a lot of leakage with any iron.

However, I recently purchased a Panasonic Cordless and have been very happy with it. Again, no water in the iron. I do have to remember to put in the cradle properly, but otherwise it has been great.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:49 AM

I just buy a procter silex from Walmart. (Approx. $10) Last one lasted me twelve years and no issues!
Old 06-06-2015, 11:18 AM

I love my cordless Panasonic. Does the job great and no cord hassel