Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray starch and carpet >

Spray starch and carpet

Spray starch and carpet

Old 06-07-2015, 05:23 AM

Default Spray starch and carpet

I have just started using spray starch and I was wondering if the overspray from the spray starch will damage or make my carpet sticky or hard underneath my ironing board? DH suggested putting a plastic table cloth under my ironing board but I really don't want to put one under it if i don't need to.
Thank you for your help
Sue
Old 06-07-2015, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I would put something under the area.

In my opinion, it's a lot easier to wipe off a table cloth than clean a carpet.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:40 AM

I've been spraying over carpet for ages, it doesn't do anything to it because when the moisture drys you are left with starch which vacuums up. That's my experience anyway...
Old 06-07-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I always have a large piece of cardboard to contain any over-spray. I thought one is suppose to spray outside because of the fumes??
Old 06-07-2015, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I always have a large piece of cardboard to contain any over-spray. I thought one is suppose to spray outside because of the fumes??
I think you are probably thinking of 'spray basting' for the need to go outside.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I used the sizing in an aerosol can from Wal-Mart. I sprayed the pieces in a large shallow Sterilite tote.

When dry, there was residue on the tote.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:06 AM

I have carpet in my sewing area, and starch like crazy... it dries to a powder and vacuums up with no trace. Just to prove it to yourself spray a piece of paper .. let it dry and see how it reacts. Starch never truly goes into solution or dissolves, it is mostly suspended. That's why it will "fall" out when the fabric is handled or manipulated. Think about a shirt that has been starched ... at the elbow or any area that is bent or folded repeatedly will no longer be stiff.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:07 AM

Spray starch has been around for years and years. I don't think I've ever heard of carpet damage. Just how much are you spraying? I wonder if any of it ever makes it to the carpet.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I have hard wood floors and by the time it hits the floor it's like a dust. I just get the dust mop.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:52 AM

I've used spay starch (of several different brands) on things on my ironing board for years and years and never had a problem with anything getting sticky, either what I was spraying, or what was over sprayed, or under the board. I have a hardwood floor where my ironing board is located. I sweep and wash the floor and find nothing untoward under the ironing board (well, a lot of thread pieces!).

If you pour a bottle of liquid starch over your carpet it would get hard-- because I've made doilies into lace bowls using the liquid starch. (Soak a doily in liquid starch, then drape it over an upside down bowl-- when dry, remove, and the doily will be in a hard shape the same as the bowl. You can also do this project using a highly concentrated dissolved sugar and water solution.) Perhaps your question arises from the idea of what liquid starch can do in comparison to what spray starch can do...