Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  I'm getting old and so is my sewing machine! >

Help! I'm getting old and so is my sewing machine!

Help! I'm getting old and so is my sewing machine!

Old 06-12-2015, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
A Viking machine I had (1+) came with a white mark embedded on the ankle behind the needle. Don't know if it was tape, but you can use a small white piece of tape in that spot.
A bit off subject....yes, I still have that machine and that is a great idea...works well...and that olde girl works better than my new Baby!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:14 AM

I've had a problem since I had cataract surgery. Reading glasses just don't quite cut it. I found these on Amazon.com and on JoAnn.com and keep at least two in my sewing kit and 2 with each of my machines. They work great on machine and larger eyed hand needles.

http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Looped-N...edle+threaders

http://www.joann.com/dritz-looped-ne...g/5579099.html

Also, Nova Montgomery sells a needle threader on her website.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:06 AM

My machine has a needle threader, but it gets stuck in the needle when I try to use it. I've taken it back to the shop and it works fine every time !!! I has to be user error, but I can't figure it out, so I thread the machine the old way. I find if I just put my finger behind the eye of the needle, I get it threaded every time. I just had cataract surgery about 6 months ago, and only can't see very small things.
Sue
Old 06-12-2015, 09:08 AM

I just picked up a Dritz Machine Needle Inserter & Threader at Joann's. This tool is great for threading machines and it also holds the needle steady in the slot while you are tightening the screw. The threader works like the automatic threader on my newer machines so I can continue to use all my old machines whose needles thread from the side and from the front.
Old 06-12-2015, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead View Post
I use my little wire threader on my machine all the time. You can also go to the Dollar Tree and get you a pair of glasses for $1.00. Go find a medicine bottle in the store where the writing is too small to read, then go find a pair of glasses that will help you read the bottle when you hold it 10 to 12 inches from your face. I use a 250. I have 6 pair floating around the house all the time. I've had cataracts removed from both eyes, and a lens put in. What a difference in colors !
As far as threading a needle for hand sewing, you can cut the thread so there is a blunt end, no stray fuzzy hairs. Pull the thread down between your thumb and finger so that only a small dot of thread is showing. Set the eye of the needle down on the dot and slightly push down, roll your finger and thumb up to catch the thread and pull up. Works for me. lol
I was told recently in a class that there is a direction to thread! The 'right' end to thread a needle is the leading edge off the spool (not the spool end). Who knew?
Old 06-12-2015, 10:38 AM

Ditto this is what I do too
Old 06-12-2015, 10:45 AM

Before I had my eyes fixed I used just a hand needle threader and it worked just fine.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:40 PM

There are "handicap needles" that have a slit in the side. So all you have to do is slide the thread down the side, and it goes into the eye. The Schmetz handicap needles will work in your machine.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
here is the gadget that came with one of my machines. http://www.amazon.com/KingSo-Threade.../dp/B00STDMKBW
it works much better than i thought it would
There are several different models of this threader, one I got came with my Babylock serger and I went hunting to find a few for my other machines to have one at each station! They work well, are easy to put a piece of velcro on and attach to the machine! I think I now have 5 of them, some different models, but they all work by sliding the thread into the slots and pushing a button the feeds the thread into the needle....MAGIC!!!
Old 06-13-2015, 02:48 AM

If you hold a plain piece of white paper...no lines...behind the eye of the needle is is easier to see the needle hole...if necessary use this tip plus a magnifying glass and a lot of patience....hope this helps you....it helped me before my cataract surgery....now I see the needle hole with no trouble..