Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years - >

Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

Questions about top of the line machines purchased in last five years -

Old 06-16-2015, 02:34 PM

Janome 8900

If you had to do it over again - would you?

Absolutely

Has it been reliable?

Never a minute of trouble

Has it been picky about threads?

I've used everything from C&C to Aurifil to Superior to Signature to Connecting Threads with no issues

Have you had it in for repairs and/or adjustments more than a couple of times?

I've only had it in for its annual cleaning

Would you still keep back-up machines?

I have a class machine that I would use as a backup
Old 06-16-2015, 05:36 PM

My Viking is older than your initial request but I would absolutely do it over again. It's a Husqvarna Platinum - about 10 yrs old. Computerized. Will use any thread I throw at it; has an auto tension feature which I've never had to touch; use a regular foot and specific setting and get a beautiful 'scant' 1/4" seam. Will sew any type fabric. Do not need to use a walking foot sewing on binding (probably would help but totally not necessary). I've never purchased any extra feet. Had it in for service about 2x in the 10 years I've had it.

I pray it lasts me the rest of my sewing lifetime as I can't imagine another machine can possibly be better!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:44 PM

I have an Elna 740 which is a dream machine - does everything sewing/quilting wise that I need. Not finicky at all and only servicing is cleaning once in awhile.
I recently purchased a Husqvarna Viking Designer Ruby Royale - for embroidery mostly. Still learning that but the machine sews well, and I'm anticipating the same reliability - it was highly recommended and so far, it's great.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:31 PM

I have a Bernina 830 just love all the features it can do , and embroidery also , large "c"section to fit
larger quilts to quilt. , love it . Cathy
Old 06-16-2015, 06:36 PM

I have a Babylock Esante, and I like it very much. I didn't want a high end embroidery machine, until I had done some embroidey to see if I liked it. I do, but I might not buy it again. I think the Brother machines are a little cheaper, and many people say they are the same. I'd really have to do more research before I could decide.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:04 PM

Viking Ruby...have had it 2 1/2 years. I would definitely buy this machine again! Love, love, love it!
Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 PM

I also have the Bernina 830 -- yes, I would buy it again. It has been in for cleaning and updates. I've had no problems with it (other than user error) I do have a back up Bernina -- I use it for classes and teaching my grandkids how to sew. The 830 is too heavy to take to classes unless the class is machine specific. I like to use the embroidery module for quilting. It also has a BSR so I can use it for regular quilting also.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:56 PM

If you had to do it over again - would you?
YES, I Have a Brother Quattro and Baby Lock Symphony. Usually keep the Quattro set up for embroidery.

Has it been reliable?
Yes.

Has it been picky about threads?
Only use Aurifil and Metrosene and never had a problem.

Have you had it in for repairs and/or adjustments more than a couple of times?
None. Zero. Nada. Never.

Would you still keep back-up machines?
I use a Pfaff 7510 as a back up machine, because of the built in IDT system, and a Bernina Artistry 730, however, my Brother and Babylock are my favorites.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:30 PM

I have a Janome 12000 and have quilted with the embroidery module. Here's one:

Takes a while though. [ATTACH=CONFIG]522597[/ATTACH]

Would I buy it again? I bought mine second hand, and "yes" is my answer.

I have an 8900 I got last Dec. It needs some adjusting, but haven't wanted to send it back for adjusting. I have a 3 year guarantee, so I'm thinking I have time to deal with it as it skips, etc. The guy from the yahoo group told me it is a .5mm adjustment that is needed to a certain screw.

Would I buy it again? Well, I wish mine weren't a picky one. I had had a Horzion 7700 that I sold that I didn't have any trouble with, so I know what they are supposed to do, so yes, I would.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	88 - 2015.JPG
Views:	1541
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	522597  
Old 06-17-2015, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
Janome 12000

Yes absolutely I would.
Quality of the embroidery is excellent. I have used it for quilting and I found it relatively easy though My preference is free motion. I'm not the most experienced of sewers but I find this a great machine, quite intuitive with lovely stitching. Only down side is not being able to sew while its embroidering but great for anyone with limited space.
What kind of quilting have you done with the embroidery module? Maybe I'm missing out on something. I do a lot of donation quilts and was looking for that overall meander to be much more open. It is way too dense. I agree it does beautiful embroidery work and some really nice patterns you can quilt blocks with.
I do find the stitch seams to be a little wiggly. Is that true with yours?
I never use it as an embroidery machine. I haven't found anything I wanted to embroider a design on. Towels? Nah.