Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curious Question >

Curious Question

Curious Question

Old 06-17-2015, 11:35 AM

My DH calls my sewing room the "woman cave." I guess it's because I do more than just sew in there. I read, crochet, watch tv, listen to music, etc.
He calls my longarm, which is in another room, my "motorcycle." I paid almost as much for my long arm as he paid for his motorcycle.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:24 PM

I refer to mine as either "my quilting studio" or "my quilting room" or, at times, just "my room." My husband on the other hand likes to call it the bat cave because he can just see my mother and me (the two "old bats") in there drinking wine and talking. (He thinks he's so funny!! LOL) Actually, he is a sweetheart...he enclosed our entire three car garage for me and it is one awesome room definitely deserving of the name studio.

GagaSmith: I refer to my longarm as my Corvette. My husband likes (and collects) C-3 Corvettes.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:53 PM

The middle bedroom, middle in size but set in the front, northeast corner of this old house, is my "Ladies' Parlour!" It's where I sew all sorts of things, do piece work, quilt, scrap book, bead, read, study, drink tea, and visit.

It's 12'x12'; with two reach-in closets and the door on the west wall; a normal window almost centered on the north wall; an extra tall window on the east wall, and the south wall is solid wall.

Right now it's partially furnished with two smaller chairs and a tea table, along with two sewing machines in cabinets, two machines and a serger not in cabinets, an antique chest-on-chest highboy, a buffet/hutch stuffed with books and supplies, (it's going to be replaced) and an old white supply cabinet, also to be replaced.

The room is small but bright. I went a tad grandiose in layering a veneer of "late Victorian" over the bones of the early 1950s room. The walls are painted "Lilac Vapor." The fluted door's, closets', and windows' trim, corner rosettes, crown molding with corner blocks, baseboard, and doors are painted "Cotton Balls" white. I have floaty, floral white lace panels on both windows.

The old and imperfect dark oak floors are original to the house as is the heavy, carved glass light fixture.

right now it's still crammed with living room overflow, but it will, eventually, be returned to my room, The Ladies Parlour. No boys allowed, except my perfect Harry Dog.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:02 PM

I just call it what it is...the dining room! No other space available...when the family is over for dinner, I move my machine and stuff out of the way. Works for me!!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:33 PM

DH calls it "the cave".
Old 06-17-2015, 11:26 PM

Mine sometimes feels more like a cubby hole!!! LOL!!!!!!
Old 06-18-2015, 01:54 AM

Mine is called "My Haven". It is so small that I am the only one who can be in there. It is quiet and offers me solitude and peace. Sometimes I just go in there for the quietness.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:12 AM

My room is currently called the "craft room" since it holds all my items from sewing, costume making, quilting, crocheting, looms (table, inkle, box), jewelry supplies, etc. However I refer to my future space as a studio because I hope for it to be larger, airier, and also house my floor loom. I find that the size/coziness of the space is what influences what I call it. My current space is quite full since I also have a twin bed for guests and half the closet is taken up with BF's army items. Due to lack of "open space" and the fact that it is actually a bedroom, it gets labeled "room"...now if it was larger, and maybe renovated to take away the "bedroom" feel to it, then I feel like I would consider it a studio.

I do like the term asylum. Because that is exactly what that space is for me. It is where I go to escape and recharge. It is where I go to focus on me and improve my state of mental health. I am an introvert which means I need to recharge alone. My space is where I can do that. So I say call it whatever gives you personal comfort.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:18 AM

Funny thread, mine is called sewing room/cat hang out. When you can't find one of the cats go in there and there it is piled up on the quilt that needs bound. LOL

Edit: actually can't stand cats but the wife has three and loves them so I put up with them. LOL Got to keep her happy.

Last edited by Future Quilter; 06-18-2015 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:18 AM

I always used to think a studio was a room for painters because that's what I always heard them call it. A "painters studio" or "artist studio" . But now I think of studio as a room for about any creativity. I usually just use the term "sewing room" Don't know why.... just do! lol