Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter blades and sharpeners >

Rotary cutter blades and sharpeners

Rotary cutter blades and sharpeners

Old 06-19-2015, 12:43 PM

and the sharpeners are incredibly noisy. It makes sense they would, but still, very unpleasant
Old 06-19-2015, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
The blades are for carpet cutters, and it's Harbor Freight that they buy them from. Some members have used them with success and some with no luck. I've tried them, but didn't like them. So I just wait until get a JoAnns coupon and stock up.
Thanks for the Info and Update.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the input! I will pass on the sharpener, since they don't seem to work. And I'll throw away the used blades. I don't know why I don't like doing it - they're metal, they should be recycled or something!
Old 06-20-2015, 03:06 AM

I purchased the ones from Aliexpress and they would have a hard time cutting butter. Waste of time, effort and money. I also had purchased the electric rotary blade sharpener and that too was an even bigger waste of money.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:43 AM

I bought a dozen blades from Harbor Freight over a year ago.....hate them for fabric!! Probably good for carpet cutting which is what the package says he are for.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:50 AM

I have tried numerous sharpening tools and was not happy with any of them. Someone in my guild owns a company and brought several to retreat for us to try out. We weren't really happy with any of them. I gave up on sharpening them and just keep my eye out for sales and stock up when they are on sale. I keep one of the nice plastic cases for my old blades. I write on it with a sharpie so I know which are the used ones. I use these when I cut things like paper, and other things that are hard on a blade. The other night I was cutting corrugated plastic with one. The cases also make a safe way to dispose of the old blades.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:01 AM

I've used a blade sharpener for years. Haven't thrown blades away in years. I don't have any trouble cutting fabric either.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:56 AM

I tried the blades from Harbor Freight. Some blades cut ok and some not good. I thought they were hard on my cutting mat. I buy regular quilter's rotary blades when on sale.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Why do you hate to throw away bad blades? I don't see a purpose in saving them. I've tried all the sharpeners and they all work to refresh a blade but not sharpen it enough to be like new.
Perhaps because with the ever increasing cost of fabric and notions not everyone can afford to keep changing blades willy nilly.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:35 AM

Blades are the one thing I've given up on as far as trying to save, sharpen, buy Harbor Freight cheaper ones, etc. The only thing I didn't try was sending them somewhere to be sharpened, someone on here posted about a site that does that, but forgot what it was. Think I'll just stick to name brand blades and try to wait for sales/use coupons.