Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Viking Opal 690Q or Sapphire 960Q? >

Viking Opal 690Q or Sapphire 960Q?

Viking Opal 690Q or Sapphire 960Q?

Old 06-24-2015, 05:17 PM

Default Viking Opal 690Q or Sapphire 960Q?

Hi All,

I test drove several sewing machines today and I've narrowed it down to the Viking Opal 690Q or the Sapphire 960Q. If you have either of these machines I'd like to hear your pros and cons for each. The 960Q is almost twice the cost of the 690Q. For the few added features I'm not sure I can justify the additional cost of the 960Q. I've looked for online reviews but I felt I could get honest feed back from you.

Thanks in advance.

Marie M.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:02 PM

Hi Marie, If you're going to be traveling with either of these machines I would choose the Opal.. It was made to be a take it with you to class machine with most of the features of The higher end Viking line..The Sapphire is a larger machine. longer bed for easier handling of fabric..I'm not sure how many more stitches/memory/fonts it has.. They both have the sensor system...to me size & $$$ is the difference... I have several of the Viking machines and almost got the opal..but didn't.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:07 AM

Can't give you opinions on these machines specifically but I will say my 10+ yr old Viking is humming along just peachy! Love that machine. Will sew anything I throw at it without a question. Have never had an issue with it. Only to shop for normal service.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the info Honchey and NJ quilter. I"m leaning towards the Opal. I had a Viking that I bought about 25 years ago, long story short it broke about 8 years ago and the part required was no longer available. I went with a Janome at the time, I wasn't sewing and had just started quilting and wasn't sure if I'd like like or stick with quilting so I went with a less expensive machine. While the Janome works fine, it doesn't have some features that I really want and think would make my sewing/quilting experience more enjoyable.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:49 PM

I just bought the Sapphire a couple weeks ago. I chose it for its size, and I'm really glad I spent the extra money to get the longer arm. I chose it to make FMQ easier, but I find I appreciate the larger size even when I'm piecing. It is heavy, though. That's fine for me, but definitely a consideration.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:12 AM
Power Poster

That is good that your test drove the two DSM. It is good that you are considering the cost difference and what each one will give you. I have an older Bernina 1530 that in the 90s was the top of the line and she is still quilting as well as the first day I bought her. Try to get prices from various dealers and then see if your local dealer will match the price. Just like buying a car. Good Luck.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:25 AM

Jennifer 23 and Maniac Quilter 2, thanks you both for your comments. I liked the Sapphire however FMQ'ing is not one of my favorite things. I don't mind doing it for a small quilt but really don't enjoy it enough to want to do a big one. I have done a little shopping for prices, however being in Montana dealers are few and far between. I've thought about on line vendors and I've read where people have great luck with it, but I feel that if I test drive at a dealer and expect them to service the machine I should purchase from them; otherwise there in no point for them to be a local dealer.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:52 AM

I've heard great things about both of the vikings you are considering. If not interested in FM, the opal does have almost all of the same features...and if you do FM on smaller projects, i heard it does that very well too.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:43 AM

Mea,

Thanks, as of now that is the way I'm leaning.

Marie
Old 06-27-2015, 08:54 AM

I have 2 Sapphires the 960 Q and the 875. I just sold my 830 Sapphire machine.I wore out my Bernina 150Q and have a Janome platinum for classes. I also have a feather weight and my aunts original singer a 15-90. I love my Sapphires. They were designed for a quilter. I love the pedal control. Not having to lift or put down the foot with my hands is wonderful. I would go with the 960Q the best of the best in Sapphire machines. It runs smoothly. Just a happy quilter here. Luann