Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Sewing Road Trip....with a Twist >

Sewing Road Trip....with a Twist

Sewing Road Trip....with a Twist

Old 07-02-2015, 12:21 PM

I love the idea but I doubt hubby would agree to it, especially the thrifting and antiquing along the way. he's ok with some of that as long as the destination is somewhere he is more excited about!
Old 07-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Fun idea for a trip! Great way to enjoy yourselves, and no stress. Glad you had a super time!
Old 07-02-2015, 01:14 PM

We met the nicest people along our way, and enjoyed visiting with them. As a result, I have a new project now, setting up my Bernina 830 “parts machine” to treadle. It’s got a broken zigzag cam, but they’re available so I might have to get one.

We visited a fabric shop near Waco Texas that was owned and operated by a Faith-based community of folks. They sold both quilting and apparel fabrics, and gave sewing classes in a room adjoining the fabric shop. Half of the building was a separate business that manufactured canes and walking sticks. Wow, I’ve never seen so many walking sticks! The fabric sales area included racks of hand-made trousers and vests made by community folks and even by non-community people who had taken the classes. Maybe by selling a few items that they had learned how to sew was a way to recoup their class expense?

I peeked through the doorway into the sewing classroom and saw more than a half dozen machines setting on a large table. I recognized two of them as Bernina 830s, and inquired about them. Turns out that all of the machines on the table were Bernina 830s, and a couple of members of the community even had Bernina 830 treadle-operated machines at their homes. Being the treadle-nut that I am, I want to look into making my Bernina 830 a treadle-operated machine!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 07-02-2015, 04:55 PM

Great vacation idea! And it's always nice to trade ideas with people who actually share the same interests and know what you're talking about.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:21 AM
KLO

Wondered where you were. What a wonderful way to take a trip. No stress (except for the timing of the coin toss) and you get to see places and meet people you wouldn't normally get to see/meet on a "normal" trip. From your writings about this, it sure sounds like you had a nice bonding time with your wife and a relaxing, fun, explorative trip. Good for you and thanks for the well written and joyous synopsis of your trip.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:32 AM

Similar idea - I always have wanted to go on a "path of least resistance" trip, where I just go whichever direction is easiest - at intersections, go whichever way has the green light or the least traffic. If the sun gets in your eyes, turn a different direction. If you see traffic up ahead, time to go off at a right angle.

Of course, I get lost SO incredibly easy, if I want to see new parts of the state I can just turn off my navigation. That pretty much guarantees I'm going to end up in new territory! LOL

That sounds like a fantastic trip though. I LOVE road trips!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:15 AM

We went on a trip to out west with a 13 year old grandson. Upon leaving Mr. Rushmore, I was driving, Ben was navigating with the GPS and Grandpa was trying to navigate to where he wanted to go. Ben said turn right, Grandpa said turn left, so I went straight ahead. It was the most interesting trip through back roads with the most beautiful scenery. But we missed seeing Crazy Horse! Grandpa didn't communicate to us why we should turn left, and Ben was taking us to the next motel.
You can tell we had quite a trip. In two weeks we went from central Wisconsin to Salem, visiting every National Park along the way.

Last edited by maviskw; 07-03-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:37 AM

Sounds like you had a blast. I don't know about your gadget but it looks like a old butter paddle.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:45 AM

ThayerRags, that sounds like the most fun ever! No pressure, stop whenever you want, stay where you want, no time schedule! You went right through where a sister, brother, and various nieces and nephews live in the Dublin, Stephenville area.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:14 AM

We couldn’t remember having more excitement and anticipation the week before going on a vacation than we experienced with this one. Neither one of us got a heck-of-a-lot done the week before leaving. We were like a couple of kids going to Disneyland. The plan was to just take some changes of clothes and go, but what kind of clothes? For what conditions? We didn’t know which direction that we would be going, or how far in that direction we’d end up!

Finally, my 28 years of working electrical high lines experience kicked in, and I told my wife that we’d pack like I used to pack going out on jobs not knowing how long or in what weather I’d be working in. I used to take my regular clothes, and then throw in a pair of long-johns and a swimming suit, just in case.....

CD in Oklahoma