Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads >

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads

Old 07-02-2015, 05:03 PM

I've read it over maybe 50 times. Did I miss something? I'm not seeing the part that says anything about not getting anything off on a rag, but maybe I missed it.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:12 PM

That's definitely odd behavior, even if the sewing machine oil had been baked on!

What if someone polyurethaned it?

Originally Posted by morganfam7 View Post
I hear what you're saying. I think someone put something on this machine later. I don't think this is all original. After I posted the message above I used the dremel and a plastic type brush on the decals on the back along with lots of oil. I worked on this a long time with the dremel, and you can still barely see them. Definitely no silvering because there's so much on top of the decals. If I use a t shirt or cotton swab and oil, I get nothing off. I can rub and rub and rub for however long, 5 minutes, etc. and I get nothing on the rag / q tip. I wonder if this is laquer.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
No Jan you are okay. I want you to take denatured alcohol and place it on the black paint underneath the machine to see if it will soften the finish, if it does it is shellac if not it is lacquer. Do the same with acetone(solvent for lacquer) if the rags turns black then it is lacquer. If it is the latter you can sand with fine paper(wet or dry) using water or kerosene as a lube for the sandpaper. When smooth spray the whole with lacquer. Before spraying you can trace over the Mercury decal with gold paint and a small artist brush to brighten it.
Skip
Morganfam7, did you try acetone on a patch of the really hard stuff? If the brown starts coming off on your rag, it might be lacquer?
Old 07-04-2015, 12:13 PM

I thought about trying the acetone when I read about that. I've gotten sidetracked with the foil thing in the front, and the oil gunk under the stitch length knob covering the decal. I've been working on it for two hours today. It looks a lot better, but I'm not finished with it yet. When I get back to that area I'm going to try that acetone. I see where part of the decal on the front has a perfect line like someone shielded that part from spray.

I'm also working on a completely rusted up White Rotary. Parts are soaking in Evaporust. I can't get some screws off yet, but Mr. Wrench is doing his thing.

Thanks for the reply! How's your machine coming along?
Old 07-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

I'm guessing you are through the shellac and into the black tar stuff you want to leave that stuff alone.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:06 PM

I don't know. This is on top of the decals on back. The gunk I'm cleaning off the front is on top of the decals, too. But, oh, that foil oval looks so much better. On the front, I can use machine oil, and get color on the cotton ball. Not so on the back. Slowly rubbing her back to some of her former beauty.

On a side note, I mentioned this machine when I went to a warehouse fabric outlet this weekend. The sewing machine lady immediately told me that the timing was off. I think she was trying to sell me a new machine. Ain't happening
Old 07-05-2015, 02:59 PM

Even if the timing IS off on a vintage machine, it's usually dead easy to put back. What was her criteria for that diagnosis?
Old 07-05-2015, 05:03 PM

Tammi, thank you for writing that! I hate it when someone tries to tell you your "whatever it is" is not any good or needs drastic repairs, or whatever, just so they can sell you something new! I'm just like you -- It ain't happenin'!

Jeanette
Old 07-05-2015, 06:08 PM
Banned

On a side note, I mentioned this machine when I went to a warehouse fabric outlet this weekend. The sewing machine lady immediately told me that the timing was off. I think she was trying to sell me a new machine. Ain't happening
There's a dealer/technician like this here in my city. I won't say which dealer but I think his name is Pfred. Every vintage machine that comes in that's the first thing he says. I had a question about one of my machines once and he told me to bring it in and he would fix the timing. I told him there was nothing wrong with the timing. He said yes it was off, he does a hundred or more Japanese machines every year. I said you've got a good racket going and left. Went to another place with a better, much nicer tech(which has since closed) and after asking me a couple questions, suggested I try a different foot. Bingo, solved my problem.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 07-05-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

I thought about trying the acetone when I read about that. I've gotten sidetracked with the foil thing in the front, and the oil gunk under the stitch length knob covering the decal. I've been working on it for two hours today. It looks a lot better, but I'm not finished with it yet. When I get back to that area I'm going to try that acetone. I see where part of the decal on the front has a perfect line like someone shielded that part from spray.

I'm also working on a completely rusted up White Rotary. Parts are soaking in Evaporust. I can't get some screws off yet, but Mr. Wrench is doing his thing.

Thanks for the reply! How's your machine coming along?
acetone should remove any decals you have left.

Some times there is tar from a melted belt or cord on a machine. It comes off with Tar and Bug remover.