Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a quilting life late in life...... >

Starting a quilting life late in life......

Starting a quilting life late in life......

Old 07-13-2015, 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=Latrinka;7255895]We'd all be more likely to get there if we got off of here! QUOTE]

So true - at least for me!
Old 07-13-2015, 03:34 PM

I started quilting At age 63 when my first grandson was announced. Now, 2 years later I am really hooked! Being retired gives me lots of time to do the things I love and quilting is one of them. Just enjoy every day and do what makes you happy!
Old 07-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

Does anyone EVER have the time to make all the quilts they want to make? Or the time to take all the trips, see all the sights, read all the books,...??? Enjoy your quilt making, and know that you will get a bit faster as you go along.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:09 PM

I hear you girl. So many, so little time!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:16 PM

Dear gigi712, I am 70 years old and just purchased a long arm quilting machine. After months of trying to "justify" such an expensive purchase this late in life, I decided to get it because I would enjoy it. Livin' life while I can!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:17 PM

Five years ago, I had never worked with fabric or even tried a sewing machine. It's good for our brains to learn new skills and quilting is so much fun!
Old 07-13-2015, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
We'd all be more likely to get there if we got off of here! LOL! Nah, gotta have a break now and again, just love lookin, but then that makes more that I want to do! Good luck on your new adventure!
I love this site too and spend way too much time on here...but I love looking, getting ideas and figuring out how the blocks are made. I am also a slow quilter but love the process and am most of the time happy with the results, patterns, colors. I have sewed for 50+ years but have only quilted for less than 10 years. I have many quilts on my wish list and I just keep plugging along. None of us knows how long we have left to live but just keep busy and don't dwell on that. Enjoy the day- listen to the birds chirping, smell the roses, appreciate the beautiful fabrics.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
that's what I did and there are many challenges to overcome, but that's half the fun. The part that bothers me is there's so many quilts I want to make and I'm so slooooow, not sure I'll get them done. So, I've decided to do my favorites first and go from there.

Anybody else in the same boat? Maybe if we all row together, we'll get there, lol.
You can count me in. I am slow too. Smart decision to make your favorites first.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:24 PM

I'm 70, and I just started about 12 years ago. I'm loving it!
Old 07-13-2015, 06:39 PM

I'm 71 and started quilting about 4 years ago. I am very slow, but I enjoy learning. I've just learned to make half square triangles and flying geese. I'm getting better and faster. Right now I'm making baby quilts for greatgrands and great nieces. Seems like lots of babies are on the way in our family.