Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your scaring me >

Your scaring me

Your scaring me

Old 07-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan. White chalk (I use the powder wheel chalk) is so much easier to remove especially on dark fabric.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Don't those pen marks come back if the fabric gets cold or something?
Yes, so if you have a show quilt that is going to be shipped and the quilt was not washed the marks will reappear due to many shipping companies flying the cargo in unheated cargo spaces the temps at altitude are cold enough to get them to come back. Also for those of us in cold climates a couple of hours in an unheated car will to it or in the trunk. How about an unheated seasonal porch. There are many circumstances where a quilt could be exposed to freezing temps.

I also had a friend use them and not only did the marks not come all the way out with heat, they didn't wash out either. It it was on a solid white fabric. They were very, very faint and she still showed the quilt (and ribboned!) but she said she will never use them again.

Here is a great article written by a blogger (NOT my friend) where she tested them herself with varying results on the SAME quilt with the SAME pen. http://www.freshlypieced.com/2013/07...-them-for.html

I give the Frixion pens a pass. Too many other products that work well and are made specifically for fabric or come out very easily.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-14-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:47 AM

Frixion Pens ~ The fact that the marks come back after the quilt is washed if the quilt is exposed to cold temperatures proves that the chemicals in the ink do not wash out.

I won't be using Frixion pens as there is no way to know what the chemicals are going to do to our quilts in the future.

I use chalk and graphite pens. Both wash out completely.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:31 PM

I use the Crayola washable markers and love the results. But I always test on every fabric in the quilt first (scraps)....when I wash the quilt I use warm water with regular detergent....never any problems. I also use CraZart brand markers and just found 10 markers for $.50 at Walmart Back to school sales.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:58 PM
tmw

I'm glad you showed this sharpener, I was trying to use a regular one and it didn't work,
Old 07-14-2015, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I give the Frixion pens a pass. Too many other products that work well and are made specifically for fabric or come out very easily.
Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
Frixion Pens ~ The fact that the marks come back after the quilt is washed if the quilt is exposed to cold temperatures proves that the chemicals in the ink do not wash out.

I won't be using Frixion pens as there is no way to know what the chemicals are going to do to our quilts in the future.
I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Don't those pen marks come back if the fabric gets cold or something?
Not that I've noticed....I hope my house doesn't get really cold and the pen marks come back! HA
Old 07-14-2015, 02:32 PM

Just be sure to only use the "Crayola" brand.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
Just be sure to only use the "Crayola" brand.
Well, there are other washable markers - CraZart was mentioned above. I've used "no name" washable markers from the Dollar Tree. Of course, I tested them - both ironed and un-ironed. But if you're cautious, stick with Crayola. I also use washable school glue from the Dollar Tree - two for a buck, what a deal.

Tate
Old 07-14-2015, 05:19 PM

I look and looked for white chalk with no luck but I did find some boxs of yellow chalk that has worked well for me. after having so much trouble finding the white , when I found the yellow I get more thin I will ever use. if someone would like to have some send me a PM .