Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flying Geese makes so much waste! >

Flying Geese makes so much waste!

Flying Geese makes so much waste!

Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 AM

Which Accuquilt do you have? I have been toying with the idea of getting one. Any advice?

I use the Accuquilt dies, but I use a Fiskars Fuse to roll them thru. The Fuse has a much better gear ratio and isn't nearly as hard on my shoulder to crank.

The Accuquilt Go! dies work in the Fuse with the adapter plates. The Studio dies are too thick...I think. The Sizzix dies work well in the Fuse also. The Sizzix dies are cheaper than Accuquilt, and come in a nice variety of sizes.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
So no complaints about the crank one, except you got so you couldn't turn it? It's half as much money. Also, does it seem like the electric one should have an exit platform for the die to "land" on on the way out of the machine? I've watched some videos and it seems it comes out and starts to fall towards the table. Is that a problem?
i just support the die as it comes through. i have thought of creating a support for it tho. maybe a box or some styrofoam??? and yes the cranking was the only problem i had. i do love the ease of use with the electric go.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:15 AM

I make all my Flying Geese as in this video. Perfect every time. I did purchase the ruler.
https://www.studio180design.net/videos/?id=4
Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sval View Post
So no complaints about the crank one, except you got so you couldn't turn it? It's half as much money. Also, does it seem like the electric one should have an exit platform for the die to "land" on on the way out of the machine? I've watched some videos and it seems it comes out and starts to fall towards the table. Is that a problem?

There are many youtube videos of the different die machines in use. I have the Go Baby, Go, Go Big and the Big Shot Pro. All were gifts except the Go. I use the Go crank machine the most. I'll save the Go Big for the big dies and for when I may become non crankable.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:16 PM

Just posted a tutorial on making 20+ flying geese at the same time - super easy, check it out
Old 08-04-2015, 01:38 PM

I bought an Accuquilt Studio recently when they were on sale and wow . . .will never make flying geese or half square triangles again. I absolutely love that I can be finished cutting out perfectly in 15 minutes, an entire quilt that in the past, could take two days, and the way everything matches up perfectly. It's sooooo much easier, not only to cut them out, but to sew them up. I'm glad I waited for the fold up model of the Studio as I really don't have space in my quilting studio for a dedicated table. I just fold it up and set it under my cutting table. It's about 32 pounds, which is probably lighter than my sewing machine, LOL
Old 08-05-2015, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I saved enough in no messed up cutting to pay for my Go. I think some get sticker shock and not think of the value. My die cut machine is just as important to me as my sewing machine.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-05-2015 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:05 AM

My die cut machine is just as important to me as my sewing machine.

Yes! I loved my Fiskars Fuse so much that I bought another one! I have one downstairs for sewing and one upstairs for crafts.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nanax4 View Post
My die cut machine is just as important to me as my sewing machine.

Yes! I loved my Fiskars Fuse so much that I bought another one! I have one downstairs for sewing and one upstairs for crafts.
love my Go electric. And because it's so easy to use and my shoulder doesn't hurt from cranking the Go! I have begun to make a LOT of 2-1/2" jelly rolls just waiting for the right pattern/inspiration to come along. A box of strips or 2-1/2" squares (which i love to use) is much more beautiful than a box of scraps. I know a lot of members do not cut scraps until they're ready to use them but I love the fact that I can just grab a roll of strips & start piecing. I'm a scrappy person and love string blocks. The 2-1/2" squares are just the right size for the hexies I'm working on too.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:11 AM

Here is another way to make the geese - very easy and fast and they are dimensional.
I've also rolled the edges back to make them look rounded. That probably won't make sense until you look at the instructions!
http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...ilt-block.html