Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's everyone working on? Need inspiration today... >

What's everyone working on? Need inspiration today...

What's everyone working on? Need inspiration today...

Old 08-05-2015, 01:53 PM

I went to a class today to learn about wool applique. I'm making a little round pumpkin mat for the center of dining table. I only got the pumpkins & stems fused to the background. LQS ran out of 2 of the colors of floss I need, so that project is on hold.

I'm finishing a Sun Bonnet Sue/Irish Chain quilt for my 3 year old niece. I'd hoped to enter it into a quilt show this weekend, but I've had to keep stopping because I decided to make it needle turn and found out the hard way that needles are all nickel-plated. I have a nickel allergy so my hands keep swelling up & turning red and splotchy so it's not done yet. I've got most of the piecing done, have 7 of the applique blocks completely done, need to add sleeves on 2 blocks & need to add sleeves & hats on 3 blocks. Maybe it will be done some time next week.

Don't feel too badly about the quilt for your nephew. I finished the quilt for my nephew's birth 2 weeks after he was born. He's still had plenty of time to enjoy it. Babies aren't supposed to sleep with bedding anymore & tummy time doesn't start until they're at least 4 weeks old so as long as you get it done sometime this month, you should be good.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:27 PM

In 2012, right after I decided I'd try quilting, for Christmas, I gave myself a quilt kit by Jinny Beyer. When I looked at the instructions, I quickly put it away. There was no way, I could follow those complicated instructions. This year, I am doing the Craftsy BOM with Jinny Beyer. Last month, it dawned on me that the blocks we are making are very similar to the blocks in the kit I gave myself. Today, I am making the last block in my kit. I am so excited! After Jinny's lessons so far, I was able to make the blocks. The quilt will be gorgeous! I am also putting the sashing on my blocks from the HST Challenge. I made twice as many blocks so that I could make a large quilt for a foster child that I hope will soon be my granddaughter.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:30 PM

your quilt looks great! I am in the middle of a couple of things. My niece gave me a bunch of her college tshirts and I am working on making them into quilts - 2 quilt tops down and probably 2 more to go. I also am in the middle of making a quilt for Quilts for Kids
Old 08-05-2015, 02:33 PM

I am working on a few things. One is a Sticks and Stones quilt that is a BOM and I am all caught up and waiting for the next months fabric. Today I got the backing fabric for my Civil War Bride quilt, so will be getting that done. This afternoon I have been doing First Snow wall hanging. It is so cute! I forgot how much I like paper piecing.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:37 AM

Thanks everyone for sharing. I got busy last night and fixed my batting issue. Also got some quilting done. Not as much as I wanted to but got a decent amount done. I think getting it done by Sunday night is doable if I'm not too exhausted after my second job... That's what's really got me unmotivated. I love that second job, it's super satisfying, but also physically exhausting. I work a normal job 7:30-4 M-F and then on Monday and Friday nights go to the other job 5-9, Saturday/Sunday 7-4. So I really only have a few nights a week now to work on my quilty stuff, and only a couple hours on those nights if I balance my time well (hubby/dog/health etc). Right now I just want to get this done and off my plate so I can be selfish and work on more fun things. Ha ha. I keep saying my next project will be for me, but then something comes along that inspires me and I get a desire to make something for someone else, putting my stuff on hold. Sigh... I actually don't even have a quilt in my apartment other than the el cheapo one from that french store, Tar-get. I swear, once this baby quilt and table runner/placemats (for mom's b-day) are done, I'm making one for me!!!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:05 AM

I just delivered a quilt yesterday that had been in my UFO stack for many months. The quilting is the hardest for me so I was waiting any baby girl to come so I could finish it. I have more UFos and more ideas in my head. Need to go fabric shopping for a backing and some background fabric for a jelly roll in my stash, red, off-white and blue, but not necessarily patriotic. It is hard to be motivated to complete a quilt when you have more ideas running around up there in the brain. You have your baby boy so finish up and think of the smiles and love you are seeing to this new family!
Old 08-07-2015, 05:45 AM

l last night I finished 25 blocks for for a class I am taking. Today after I am dressed and have read the paper and had my breakfast I well go down to the basement and see if their is anymore navy solid fabric. That's where I keep my fabric.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:12 AM

I'm in the same boat. I just can't get motivated. I need to finish some items for a new GGD that's expected the end of this month. Too many irons in the fire I guess.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:24 AM

Default dbl wedding ring

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527151[/ATTACH]

this is my project today
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dbl wed.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	527151  
Old 08-07-2015, 06:40 AM

An elderly lady in our church gave me 48 hand embroidered blocks she had done over the years. I made and quilted a queen sized quilt and now I am working on 2 twin Sun Bonnet Sue quilts. We won a blue ribbon at our county fair on the queen sized quilt for both hand work and the quilting. She is giving it to her son who really loved it. The other two will be raffled at our fall church bazaar. I am quilting one of them now and it is turning out really nice. Her hand work is beautiful so quilting it to emphasize her work. Don't know how she sees to embroider the blocks.