Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you quilt this? >

How would you quilt this?

How would you quilt this?

Old 08-06-2015, 12:54 AM

Default How would you quilt this?

Hey all you lovely people! Just a quickie, I have started making the quilt topper for an i-spy quilt (my first ever commission, eeeee!). I havent got a clue how to quilt it though! Would you guys go for stitch in the ditch because there is already so much going on, or would you do FMQ with simple patterns?

eta: this is only 3 sevenths of it so far! not finished by a long shot

Last edited by Serianas; 08-06-2015 at 12:55 AM. Reason: more exposition
Old 08-06-2015, 03:15 AM

I like that, looks good. I LA so I would do a simple meander but for FM probably stitch in the ditch.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:23 AM

Ah should have mentioned that I dont own a LA I keep saying I should invest but i never do. I think simple would work well because its very 'busy'. Would it be acheiveable on a normal sewing machine?
Old 08-06-2015, 04:06 AM

You could do straight line stitching on the diagonal thru the corners of the blocks.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

I would ditch the sashing and then I would stitch a square in each square (using matching thread show the stitching doesn't show) just to make sure nothing shifted with washings.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:13 AM

Why not put a shape in each block, like a sailboat, a puppy, kitten, flower? Goes with the theme of "I Spy"
Old 08-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter2theend View Post
Why not put a shape in each block, like a sailboat, a puppy, kitten, flower? Goes with the theme of "I Spy"
What a great idea! If sailboats, puppies, etc. sound too difficult you could just do geometric shapes, like kites, squares, triangles, etc. Or make exactly two of each shape and the game is to find them both?
Old 08-06-2015, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Serianas View Post
Ah should have mentioned that I dont own a LA I keep saying I should invest but i never do. I think simple would work well because its very 'busy'. Would it be acheiveable on a normal sewing machine?
I just did a fairly large meander on my 3 YO grandson's quilt using my home sewing machine. It is doable and turned out fine. In fact his big sister said oh,look, puzzle pieces! As I FMQ a meander, I keep in mind the shape of lower case "N"s and "U"s which this time did resemble puzzle pieces. For your quilt, I would do some large areas of SID just to stabilize it first. It will somewhat depend on the type of batting you use, also, how closely it needs to be quilted.
Personally, I would not have the patience to quilt a design in each block, but that's just me. Otherwise, doing the diagonal lines through the blocks would work well, I think. Really cute quilt you have going there. Please show us the finished product
Old 08-07-2015, 03:43 AM

Thank you everyone! managed to get another row done, so only 3 to go I dont think I would be skilled enough at this juncture to do fancy patterns FMQ, as this will be the first. That means that I have an excuse to proctice too
Old 08-08-2015, 04:20 AM

Cute I Spy quilt. I have my squares and sashing cut for one, haven't decided on the cornerstones yet, may or may not use them.