Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to sell quilting supplies? >

Where to sell quilting supplies?

Where to sell quilting supplies?

Old 08-11-2015, 04:13 AM

You might do better and have less hassle if you have a "tag sale" in which all items are prepriced and labeled. That cuts out the haggling. People either pay what the tag says or they leave without the articles. It worked well on my street a couple of months ago, and it cut down on people who want items that are dirt cheap. By the way, have plenty of help lined up or lots of stuff will disappear.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:49 AM

I'm sorry for your loss. Yard/Estate sales can be overwhelming if you are trying it on your own. An estate sale company will do the work for you, but research them first, and their fees. Ebay is an excellent place to see what the resale market is like, but you can only see what has sold for the past 15 days. Fees are charged on sold items, and you have to pack and ship things unless you offer local pick up. You get a more limited audience with pick up, as well as Craigs list. But, they both work. You also have to have a PayPal account for Ebay. I buy and sell on Ebay all the time, and have had success on Craigs list as well. Things can go "missing" at yard/estate sales and people will want to cut your prices. But, things will go quickly. Any of the on line sites will need pictures of the items. But, you have an audience from world wide. Local shops may take the machines and such on consignment. There are some great ideas here. Where did your mom live? I am a newer quilter, and always looking to add to my growing collection of quilting things.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:25 AM

I am sorry for your loss. I have had good luck with all three options that other have listed, Craig's list, ebay and sewitsfor sale yahoo group. One of our local amazing quilters has just passed. Her daughters held a garage sale for quilters and advertised through local guilds in addition to our weekly shopper. They moved a lot of stuff. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:28 AM
Power Poster

Most of the lqs I patronize will not let you post an estate sale that has anything to do with sewing. I asked why since most of those who frequent estate sales buy from the lqs any way. Was told it conflicts with their merchandise for sale. I would ask anyway. I told one often we frequent the shops for parts and fabric and notions we don't have and can't afford the prices they want for the machines.
Originally Posted by bibliostone View Post
e-bay or hold an estate sale. Let local quilt shop owners know what you have for sale, especially if your mom frequented one most often.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

Oh Lord, my manners; I am so sorry for your loss. I believe if you let the guilds aware and post on social media, you'll get a good turn out. If you don't get on social media, I'm sure a friend gets on and can get the word out about a sale. Take photos of what you have. Just a suggestion.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:49 AM

I don't know how you found this site or if your mother was a member here, but there are many other message boards that have much less stringent criteria and rules for selling personal quilting items. Shipping would be involved but the buyer pays for that, though you still have to deal with the hassle of it.

Personally, I would never again deal with either an auction house or an estate seller. I highly regret doing both. There are advantages and disadvantages to all venues and a huge deciding factor will be what you are willing to take on personally at a very difficult time. I wish you all the best.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
There is a yahoo group called "sewitsforsale" where you can list personal sewing items for sale. I have bought and sold through this group.

Sorry for the your loss of your Mom.
I second that. I too have bought and sold on sewitsforsale. Also Craigslist. Recently I bought a bunch of stuff. A woman's mom went to assisted living. The daughter had a "sewing" estate sale in her home with all her moms stuff. She sold almost everything over several weeks.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:18 AM

don't know where you are but craigs list is a option
Old 08-11-2015, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by mengler View Post
I second that. I too have bought and sold on sewitsforsale. Also Craigslist. Recently I bought a bunch of stuff. A woman's mom went to assisted living. The daughter had a "sewing" estate sale in her home with all her moms stuff. She sold almost everything over several weeks.
I have used SewItsForSale and there is another yahoo group called "QuiltersFleaMarket." You do have to join the groups, but it works quite well.

Have you also checked out the local quilt guilds or sewing clubs to see if they would put out a message for you?
Old 08-11-2015, 11:11 AM

I have purchased often from ebay.I look for folks selling groups of items they 'discovered' at their mother's or grandmother's stuff. Just be sure to cover your shipping costs. If you sell items like sewing machines, you are better off using craigslist BUT DO NOT LET the buyer into your house. Do the sale in your garage or on your porch. Most buyers are good people, but the bad guys use craigslist to check out houses. I agree with finding the local quilt guild or quilt shop and leave a list of items. As long as it isn't fabric, a quilt shop should be willing to help you can donate me stuff to a local scout troop, the are often making things and teaching their girls skills.