Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting a Chevron pattern >

Quilting a Chevron pattern

Quilting a Chevron pattern

Old 08-10-2015, 09:22 AM

I did double sided feathers, but it was a girl quilt. I do tend to think of feathers a feminine. But you could also do just about any FMQ pattern following the chevrons. -- ribbon candy, l's and e's, etc, that don't have to be straight lines....
Old 08-10-2015, 09:26 AM

What about alternating swirls & what Leah Day calls "wiggly pasta" (that back and forth curve similar to ribbon candy but evenly spaced top and bottom)?
Old 08-10-2015, 01:54 PM

I am making a chevron quilt and when looking at patterns saw one that had straight line quilting in one colour with about an half inch gap and the other colour was pebbles. It looked really effective and that it how I am going to quilt mine.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
Besides straight lines following the design what other quilting looks good on a Chevron? Ideas, suggestions welcomed.
If you have a long arm with robotics, an internet based company called My Creative Stitches has a design created especially for a chevron quilt top......You might want to check those designs out....They do stitch beautifully......She has designs for log cabins (several variations), Hunter's Star, Double Wedding Ring, etc...
Old 08-11-2015, 09:39 PM

since you are doing long arm with ruler, I'm assuming you don't have robotics--ruler work is not that difficult although it can be a little slower than FMQ. I'd suggest you use straight line following the chevrons in one color and the other color (next chevron) maybe something like bubbles, swirls, etc so that each chevron stands out. Be sure to post!
Old 08-12-2015, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I didn't realize you were quilting on a long arm. I don't have one, but I have heard many long armers say that quilting straight lines was just not worth the trouble. I don't think it would have to be straight lines just because it was for a guy. (Of course, you are probably an expert and will figure it out quickly.)

Dina
I love ruler work. Just make sure you have you ruler base on and go for it! You will be surprised how fast it will go. Do a quick pratice piece then have a ball!