Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best iron? >

Best iron?

Best iron?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:04 AM

I just got a dry iron at Allbrands. I have about 5 cheaper ones that I can use a door stops. This one was about $100 and is called a professional. So far so good. I like the weight, it is a little heavy. The only problem is that you have to lay it flat on a silicone pad (which is sent with iron). I am very please with it. Just wanted to give heads up. I had to search hard to find this.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I have a cheapo $6 from Walmart with a hugh blast of steam. I like the cheap ones, if it get dropped, no biggie. I usually get a new iron every 5-6 yrs or so, and for six dollars, I can upgrade when I need to. sometimes they last 10 years.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 AM

I recently got a T-Fal iron and really like it. It works better than the Rowenta I had before it. Great steam action:-)
Old 05-06-2015, 05:00 PM

McWilter that Continental iron sounds exactly like the one at Vermont country store! Its a great iron.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:35 PM

Best iron is one with high wattage to remove wrinkles. That said I don't turn it up to the highest setting when I don't need to get the wrinkles out of fabric. Ironing blocks don't need such high heat unless they are wrinkled. I have had an iron very similar to this one....sole plate the same, color different for a few years now. Took it to a retreat and lots of the girls used it. They all want one now. You can order it here.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultraglide-Res...panasonic+iron
Old 05-06-2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by kate henry View Post
I just got a dry iron at Allbrands. I have about 5 cheaper ones that I can use a door stops. This one was about $100 and is called a professional. So far so good. I like the weight, it is a little heavy. The only problem is that you have to lay it flat on a silicone pad (which is sent with iron). I am very please with it. Just wanted to give heads up. I had to search hard to find this.

I have one like this as well but it is a steam iron - EuroPro. I really love it. Does require distilled water but so does my Rowenta so no issues there.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:48 PM

For heat nothing beats a rowenta. I havn't found an iron that doesn't leak yet. The cordless panasonic is very nice as well, used it in a class once. I also have an oliso I like but the rowenta gets hotter and way faster it just started to leak way too much but it lasted me about 8 years with light leakage and is now my dry iron. I use my oliso for steam but that leaks as well I have found. The oliso cost twice as much but I like rowenta better just couldn't deal with heavy leakage. I hate sunbeam irons and have one, never use it. I had a really bad experience with black and decker iron as well.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:42 PM

Look for one that glides easily over the fabric. Mine does not - however it was a cheap one from Walmart. Just my pet peeve. When I buy a new one, it will definitely be high on my list of features....
Old 05-07-2015, 10:54 AM

I have the same as Kathleen. I struggled with irons (three duds in a row) for months, and finally picked up the T-Fal at Wally World and have never regretted the purchase....yet!
Old 08-16-2015, 06:54 AM

This iron is the best. I love the way it works and glides over fabric. The only time I had a problem was my fault, I pressed some canvas and it had enough sizing to stand by itself. It did a number on the bottom. Got it cleaned up and was back to normal. I would get another I a heart beat.