Someone Help Identify Cams?

Old 08-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Banned

Okay, now that I see both machines yes those cams should work. Both of those are close enough to my S4000 I would have thought they were Taiwan made like mine is.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/caris_...7623754404505/
The first time I saw this machine I turned up my nose at it. Made in Taiwan it must be junk. Then I picked it up. Geeze this thing is heavy, it can't be full of plastic. It was half price day so I bought it. I figured if the machine was junk at least I'd have another good case. Boy was I wrong. It sews very well, even the cam stitches are nice.

Cari
Old 08-16-2015, 11:12 AM

Cari I seen this machine and 2 others at a yard sale a few months ago one was a plastic brother machine which I cleaned up and passed along to a teen I know. Was an old singer in the bunch and This one in a nearly black plastic case filthy I finally have it cleaned up and oiled and yes boy is it heavy. So am i missing a cam assembly or do I have all the parts and just put the cams in there? That I am slightly confused about another machine I have had in the past (that is long lost) you had to do a certain adjustment then use the cams.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crankyfuzz View Post
Cari I seen this machine and 2 others at a yard sale a few months ago one was a plastic brother machine which I cleaned up and passed along to a teen I know. Was an old singer in the bunch and This one in a nearly black plastic case filthy I finally have it cleaned up and oiled and yes boy is it heavy. So am i missing a cam assembly or do I have all the parts and just put the cams in there? That I am slightly confused about another machine I have had in the past (that is long lost) you had to do a certain adjustment then use the cams.

I need to clarify something. The cams you have won't work, the cams that Joe showed a pic of will work. They come up on Ebay a lot, if you're patient you'll get a set cheap. I've also seen them come up on other sites occasionally. I got my set at Goodwill months before I got my machine at Value Village. My machine had a cam in it and I knew it looked familiar so I dug through my cr...er, stuff until I found them. Actually, if you PM me with your address I'll send you my one extra so you can be sure this is the right set.
As for machine settings, your machine is different than mine just enough that I can't give you exact instructions but what I do is set the needle in center position, set stitch length to fine or satin stitch, then play with width setting until it stitches out the design how it should look. Just pop the cam onto the post, do your adjustments, and sew.

Cari
Old 08-16-2015, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

Weird I have some off brand machine made by Brother that uses those cams.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Weird I have some off brand machine made by Brother that uses those cams.
Picture please? I don't know much about anything past the early 70s but I've always been able to identify Brother cams. These Dressmaker cams are similar but not as tall and Brother cams I know don't have a ridge than goes in a slot on the post like these do.

Cari
Old 08-16-2015, 07:48 PM

I will take a better picture of the cams I did get at this sale and maybe someone can see what machine they are from they were in a big box of stuff I dug thru the people had no idea what they even were and here is me thinking ooo I hit the jackpot if not for me someone else lol. is a total of 38 of them
Old 08-16-2015, 08:01 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527957[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]527958[/ATTACH]

Here is a better picture of the cams out of white cases even tho some are red both the red and blue ones the depth and width of where it fits measures the same.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11911354_517533495077555_465509111_n.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	527957   Click image for larger version

Name:	11880188_517533508410887_859085557_n.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	527958  
Old 08-17-2015, 09:12 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Crankyfuzz;
Here is a better picture of the cams out of white cases even tho some are red both the red and blue ones the depth and width of where it fits measures the same.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I have no idea what machine they're for. I'm going to guess that the blue cams are for normal single needle sewing and the red cams are for twin needle sewing.
Received your PM and replied.

Cari
Old 08-17-2015, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Picture please? I don't know much about anything past the early 70s but I've always been able to identify Brother cams. These Dressmaker cams are similar but not as tall and Brother cams I know don't have a ridge than goes in a slot on the post like these do.

Cari
I'm thinking it was an Electro Grand with Brother on the hand wheel but maybe my memory is off about the cams... I won't be over there for a while to try to track the machine down. Remind me Saturday or Sunday am.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:22 AM

The Blue and red Cams I posted I believe are from a White 6477, I am still hunting on ebay for ones like yours Cari.