Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a 6 yard piece of fabric.  Any do's or don'ts?? >

Washing a 6 yard piece of fabric. Any do's or don'ts??

Washing a 6 yard piece of fabric. Any do's or don'ts??

Old 08-17-2015, 02:26 PM

Default Washing a 6 yard piece of fabric. Any do's or don'ts??

I want to prewash this fabric yet keep it in one piece until it is washed and starched so I can trim off a LOF cut for my borders before I cut the fabric further. I seem to remember reading it is bad or hard to wash a large piece of fabric. Is there anything I should do different other than unfolding and fluffing the fabric before putting it in the washer? Thanks.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:09 PM

I wash large pieces such as 3 yards of 108" wide backings and just this morning washed a piece that was 6 yards by 42 inches. I wash the fabric in warm water and then take it out of the washer after the machine is done. Shake out the fabric in the dryer, put in 6 woolzie balls and put the dryer on low, set my oven for 10 minutes (makes sure I don't forget the fabric) and go in and take out the fabric. Shake it and hang it on the clothes line in the basement. Most of the wrinkles hang out and when i am ready to use the fabric, I iron/starch as much as I need. That is it. I wash all my fabrics. I even put the charms, fat quarters, layer cakes and the 2 1/2" strips in a lingerie bags and wash them, too.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:12 PM

I fold large pieces into 1 or 1-1/2 yd folds, fanfold style, and safety pin the selvage edge. I leave it pinned, shake it out and put it in the dryer that way. you might have to shake it out and dry it a bit more after a bit. it's much easier to handle this way.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:31 PM

I have never heard of that. I've washed many large pieces of fabric in the past without any problems...even much larger than your piece. To me a 6+ piece of fabric is no worst than washing a sheet.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:01 PM

I never wash fabric...only one fabric has given me trouble in the last couple years...
Old 08-17-2015, 05:07 PM

If your washer is small (mine is a big capacity one) you may want to take it to the washateria and put in a larger capacity washer. Otherwise just be sure it has plenty of room to not get all tangled up.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:13 PM

I agree with Stevensgirl - I wash sheets without any problems, so never gave it a thought to washing long pieces of fabric. After it is dried, I fold it by picking it up in one yard at a time into a fan fold, much like they do it in the store when you buy it.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:30 PM

Avoid wrapping it long way around the agitator. Then it is likely to get all twisted. Drop the width of fabric down into the tub in loose folds.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

Be sure to unfold if before putting it in the washer.

I overcast the ends ( raw edges) before washing the piece. Do not crowd it in the washer or dryer.

Check the dryer every ten minutes or so to see if it has wadded up. If so, take it out, straighten it out and dry it until it is barely dry.

Whrn dry, fanfold it, and hand press. Most of the time the fabric dries smooth enough to store after folding.

I do iron/press the fabric before cutting it.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 AM

I do what Katie's does. A quilting teacher gave me that tip several years ago and I thank her every time I wash a length of fabric!