Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a finished quilt >

Washing a finished quilt

Washing a finished quilt

Old 08-18-2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I agree with Paper Princess, take it to a Laundromat. My HE washer can hardly handle king size sheets, it simply couldn't spin a bed size quitl. On a large quilt I use 1/4 - 1/2 a box of color catchers. I use regular HE detergent.
Me too! Pin the color catchers to the quilt with safety pins - they sometimes get stuck on the window section of the washer and don't do a good job.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:15 AM

I agree with previous posts, but I always use hypo-allergenic laundry detergent in quilts and my own clothes.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 AM
Banned

I wash all my quilts when they're finished, just to make sure there's no loose seams, etc. I use my regular detergent and a couple color catchers, more if the quilt has dark colors. I don't give them special treatment. I make quilts that are going to be used and used up, so I know they will be washed over and over without special treatment.

Cari
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
When I wash a quilt, I use a very mild soap made especially for washing linens and quilts. So many detergents are harsh for cleaning clothes so many have bleach chemicals even Woolite.
What is the name of the soap you use? Can you get it at stores, or do you have to order on line?
Old 08-18-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I prewash every fabric that comes into my house. I keep washing until the water runs clear. I'm very anal about prewashing. I don't want to have to deal with bleeding and with what I've seen how some people handle fabric in the store with disregard like wiping their sweaty necks and such. I definitely prewash.
You know, I have seen the statement of people wiping their sweat off new fabrics before. The thought disgusted me so much, I don't believe if I ever saw anyone doing that in person I could keep my mouth shut. I prewashed before because I didn't want chemicals or bleeding
Old 08-18-2015, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by jcrilley View Post
Me too! Pin the color catchers to the quilt with safety pins - they sometimes get stuck on the window section of the washer and don't do a good job.
I had a problem of them getting in the drain line and having to call the repair man to get it out. Now they go in a sweater bag, it wont fit in the drain. LOL Than I wash as I would if they were dirty with my everyday laundry detergent and than into dryer.

Last edited by Gramie bj; 08-18-2015 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
With bright colors, and no pre-wash I would take it to a Laundromat. Use a large capacity machine with lots of water and several color catchers. You want lots and lots of water to keep any color run suspended in the water & not deposited on your quilt. I just use a tiny bit (like 25%) of my regular laundry detergent.
I do what PaperPrincess describes, as the front-loaders at the laundromat use enough water to dilute any dye bleeds. For the detergent I use Synthrapol, which helps suspend any loose dye particles in the water to be rinsed away (prevents loose dye particles from settling in other fabrics). In my opinion, Synthrapol is more effective than color catchers; I have used them together on occasion.

Here is a link to Synthrapol on Amazon (does not have to be Jacquard brand):
http://www.amazon.com/Jacquard-Synth...dp/B0009IJZPY/
Just be aware that Synthrapol requires hot water in order to be effective. I like washing my quilts for the first time in hot water and Synthrapol so recipients will not have any surprises no matter how they treat the quilt, but some people do not want to use hot water.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-18-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

I pre wash all my fabrics and wash and dry the finished quilt. I never had a seam come out anytime. I usually mark the blocks and rows with a washable marker and want to make sure they are gone. I wash in cold water with 2 or 3 color catchers and dry on regular heat. I give most of my quilts away and I'm sure they are handled like sheets or blankets.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

I use Synthrapol if I think there is any chance of bleeding, but since I pre-wash everything I usually feel safe with the final wash. I have Orvus on hand (it's made for horses, but is excellent for quilts) but sometimes I forget and just use my regular mild unscented detergent. I bought my big jar of Orvus at a farm store - much cheaper than buying it at a quilt shop!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

I wash every finished quilt in hot/warm water with Tide Pod and color catcher. I dry in hot dryer. I want no surprises when the receiver does it for the first time.