Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Losing Supplies" ie rulers, etc >

"Losing Supplies" ie rulers, etc

"Losing Supplies" ie rulers, etc

Old 01-14-2010, 06:18 PM

I mark my tools if going to a class. Address label or a ribbon. I even ask that my students mark their tools so I don't keep them.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 PM

I bought an engraver for my DD to mark her work tools with, so I just used it & changed Omnigrid to KOmnigrid. It's just a scratch so doesn't get in the way or stop me seeing the lines. I use a strip of fabric tied to the handles for my scissors & rotary cutters.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:04 AM

I like the ideas about marking with a ribbon or tie through any item with a hole. I have my small scissors on a neck loop, and wear them. My scissors are marked with a sharpie, and I haven't had any problem not being able to read the markings, as I used a colored sharpie.

After one class I taught, a lady called and said she was missing a foot from her machine... That threw me. Why would that go missing? Two months she called, and told me she had located it - whew! I'm glad it was not someone else in class.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:48 AM

After one class I taught, a lady called and said she was missing a foot from her machine... That threw me. Why would that go missing? Two months she called, and told me she had located it - whew! I'm glad it was not someone else in class.[/quote]

I had a student lose her foot. Fortuntely if fell off in the trunk of her car. I always tell my students to put their pressure foot down whan transporting their machines. I always put my foot down when I'm finished sewing for the day.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:23 AM

I use a sharpie on mine. I put it right in the middle of the ruler and so far it has never gotten in the way of my measuring, but I always get it back :)
Old 01-16-2010, 07:35 AM

Why not try some translucent nail polish in a bright color, but one you can still see through? I use it on my tools (hammers, tape measure, level) and the guys wouldn't touch anything with a bright pink L.A.W. (my initials!) on it!!
If it starts to wear or chip, just add another coat. Has done me right for years in Construction...would hope the ladies at the guild are a kinder, gentler crew! :)
Old 01-16-2010, 08:03 AM

When I taught, I used returned address labels with my name, address and phone number. On scissors and seam rippers I used yellow tape with my initials on them. No matter how careful I was, I lost supplies. I figured they needed them worse than I did.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:29 AM

I take a bright colored nail polish and put a dab on my tools in an area that will not interfere with the use of the tool. It is cheap and easy to do. Pick a garish color.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Lyn

use a permenant marker or get a little label maker with clear tape.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:19 AM

I use nail polish too. I used to use sharpies but it can be rubbed off rulers. Nail polish comes in some pretty wild colors so it's easy to find one that'll work to mark things.