Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bad quilt shop experiences >

Bad quilt shop experiences

Bad quilt shop experiences

Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 PM

I have a lqs ill only visit here on wednesdays couse thats the day i found a lady there who is nice and helpful to me, otherwise the place is worthless and i wont miss them when they are gone. lol
Old 01-15-2010, 08:48 PM

[quote=Dingle
You know when you are new to quilting you just have to have everything. Well that was me last summer. Made one of my few and far between trips into Vegas. Was going to go to Hancocks for the first time since I have never been in one and hoping to find anything different then what Joanns carried. [/quote]

Hancocks and JoAnn's aren't really quilt shops or LQSs. They're chain stores. They carry a ton of stuff that isn't related to quilting. Most of the people that work in those stores work for fairly low wages. They may or may not know a thing about sewing.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:09 PM

Two quilt shops close by for us. Never had a bad experience. They are the nicest. One gives you a discount on your birthday. 1/2 your age. Like if you are 60 you get 30% off. I always go on my birtday. Now if you ask about JoAnn's or Hancocks. Different story.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:24 AM

Out here in the Ozarks, there just arent any "good" quilt shops close and the ones we have in the "big" city aren't worth the drive. Do a lot by internet now. The couple of good ones have closed, and we truely miss them. One moved here from Florida, built out in the country, was family run, friendly, helpful, inspiring, huge selection, classes, great sales and they remembered you when you walked in the door! Well, our winters were just too much and they went back to Florida, :cry: hope they have another store there and the quilters appreciate what they have. There is another small town 60 miles east of us that has a great small shop but what a trip. Have to find an excuse to head east for the day :lol:
Old 01-16-2010, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by henryparrish76
WOW! Can't believe she actually said that out loud to you!
I'm sure she thought she was being funny. Here is a pic of "Nightmare" (The only quilt I ever named - lol)
What in the world is wrong with that. Its absolutely beautifal.
I hope you rubbed it in her face. Then washed it of course :-D
I have seen signs on cars that say " mean people suck "
I do have to agree. :XD:
Old 01-16-2010, 06:20 AM

I was looking for a foot for my machine. I knew the model of my machine and the owner said "I think this will work. If it doesn't, bring it back".

It didn't. When I brought it back she gave me store credit! It was $40.00 and I still needed to find the foot.

This is the only quilt store in town and I will not give her my business.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

We have one "lqs" in the closest town which has a claim to fame of being the oldest continuous running (craft) store, the lady who owns it is ........ i don't even know how to tell you...anyway. My dh is very wonderful about my "hobby" and for occassions does venture into quilt shops to find little gifts for me. He refuses to ever give (her) his money again because of the way he was treated when he walked through the door; had he been approached differently she would have had a $100 sale that day, but instead she was 'curt, to the point of rude' and he left....evidently if you don't look like the correct class of quilter you have no business entering her store. So, he went to the one which is becoming our favorite place to stop, it is just not in a direction we usually go...anyway, when he entered their store the ladies were right there, what can we help you find, took him under their (motherly) wings, and got the $100 sale,they seem to really enjoy when he comes to visit, and he likes going there because they don't try to sell him stupid stuff just for a sale, and they are just fun not pushy, or condescending. my stocking was filled with great items i needed and wanted :) he had a positive experience and is comfortable going back without me.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by bluebird
Out here in the Ozarks, there just arent any "good" quilt shops close and the ones we have in the "big" city aren't worth the drive. Do a lot by internet now. The couple of good ones have closed, and we truely miss them. One moved here from Florida, built out in the country, was family run, friendly, helpful, inspiring, huge selection, classes, great sales and they remembered you when you walked in the door! Well, our winters were just too much and they went back to Florida, :cry: hope they have another store there and the quilters appreciate what they have. There is another small town 60 miles east of us that has a great small shop but what a trip. Have to find an excuse to head east for the day :lol:
I, too, live in the Ozarks and I must live east of you. We have three LQSs in the "big town" and another in our small town.

I was given a map to the best one by the sewing machines sales lady. She was wonderful. She even offered to show me how to use my mom's new machine that she was having trouble with. Mom lived in another state! She was never going to shop there. I have since inherited that machine and you can bet I will go there for the thread and whatever else they sell for the machine. (not much there but the machines)
Old 01-16-2010, 07:38 AM

I believe you should buy all machines in a store that specializes in machines, not Hancock, Wal-Mart, Targets, ETC. They know very little about machines, only how to cut yardage. Some are excellent on sewing things, I've met many, but problems, or explaining the workings of machines,? NO.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:02 AM

My problem here was when I went in to buy my lightweight sewing machine. I knew what I wanted when I walked in the door . Told the lady I wanted a lightweight machine I could take to classes. She showed me the one I wanted and then sort of pushed me over to a more expensive bigger machine. She kept telling me it was the one I really needed. I got so mad I got up and left. It was months before I went back and when I walked in I was prepared to walk back out if I saw that sales lady. The owner helped me get my machine and I told her about the pushy sales lady. She listened and didn't say to much. Then I ordered a carry case for my machine. When it came in weeks later and I got it home is was larger than it should of been. But I didn't go back. I just didn't want to deal with them anymore. My friend ordered something from the same shop and paid for it to be ordered. After 6 weeks and not getting any word from them that it had come in she was informed that it couldn't be ordered. She went in and picked up her money and never went back. She never knew why she wasn't called when they couldn't order the item for her. I am now wanting a new larger machine with the fancy stitches and such . I would like the same brand as my light weight machine but I refuse to go back to that shop. Funny thing is this shop was named Number 1 in town for service lol what a joke.